American serama thread!

I would have mo idea how to solder !!! ( I was just saying that I thought walmart sold them) I have had dogs that tore their nail off & used flower & put them in a cage to stop the bleeding & only let them outside to use the bathroom to keep them from busting it open. They were free in the house after the bleeding quit.

Quote:
Where I work I handle a lot of cardboard, and in the winter the ends of my fingers often split. I put a little super glue on it and it helps it heal and immediately helps the pain, too! I hadn't thought of it for chickens. Good idea. How well does it work, though, if the wound is actively bleeding? I've used that stuff they sell in the first aid section of stores called "Nu Skin." That stuff BURNS like crazy! I'd much rather use the super glue.

I keep a little "Blood Stop" powder on hand, too. I use this on my chickens if needed. I know this advice may be a little late for the bleeding toe, but it's good to have on hand for future problems. I know they sell it at Smith Poultry Supply.

I know some people when they dub the combs on their old english roosters just use plain old flour to help stop the bleeding.

I also keep a bottle of silver nitrate, but that is not what most folks can commonly find, you can get the stop sticks for shaving at CVS or riteaide also to keep on hand for emergencys. use the stop stick for a second then the super glue to seal it like a bandaide... soldering might work but OUCH lol that is all i was thinking, i use to have a caudering pen that i guess would be like a soldering iron in some ways but OUCH lol...

Not sure if it would work - but i use corn starch on my dogs nails when i cut them abit close and they bleed - alot cheaper than all the store bought stuff and really works the same with correct amount of pressure put against it

Quote:
I have him just where he wants me! I don't think he will ever grow big enough to put with the other birds even if I wanted to!

He is about 7 weeks old now.......any idea about what he should weigh? His comb and wattles are growing and turning red......no crowing yet. A lot of singing and chattering in my ear!

Quote:

Need HELP iI have a hen in my arms thats lost a toe nail and hasnt stopped bleeding even though I've been holding pressure for 15 mins. She seems to have lost a lot of blood. Its her small toe so I cant wrap it and I dont have anything for this type of problem. So ay advice would be wonderful. Sorry for typing only using one hand.

This is WAY after the fact....but try to dip it in flour and then kind of let it make a paste and squeeze it around the toe. Of course if you have not stopped the bleeding by now (some 12 hours later) something tells me she has probably bled out......yikes....I hope you were able to get it stopped. Flour will sometimes work. Toe nails are bad bleeders.

eta: See I am too late....you already had great advice thrown out there. Hope it all went well.

Oh, and to whomever posted...I will have to go and get some of those stop sticks....did not know you could buy them. Never thought about things like that in the shaving area. Good thing to have in my chicken box for emergencies. And also, the super glue - yep. it works great.

Last edited:
Quote:
Need HELP iI have a hen in my arms thats lost a toe nail and hasnt stopped bleeding even though I've been holding pressure for 15 mins. She seems to have lost a lot of blood. Its her small toe so I cant wrap it and I dont have anything for this type of problem. So ay advice would be wonderful. Sorry for typing only using one hand.

This is WAY after the fact....but try to dip it in flour and then kind of let it make a paste and squeeze it around the toe. Of course if you have not stopped the bleeding by now (some 12 hours later) something tells me she has probably bled out......yikes....I hope you were able to get it stopped. Flour will sometimes work. Toe nails are bad bleeders.

eta: See I am too late....you already had great advice thrown out there. Hope it all went well.

Oh, and to whomever posted...I will have to go and get some of those stop sticks....did not know you could buy them. Never thought about things like that in the shaving area. Good thing to have in my chicken box for emergencies. And also, the super glue - yep. it works great.

Yes, I too am seeing this post from Whitney WAAAY after the fact...
sad.png
Super glue is the way to go. I agree cauterizing was the way to go, but for the faint of heart...super glue is easier. Silver nitrate is great too. Didn't kow you could still get that stuff...gotta go looking for it now.... I once had to cut spurs and they bled like crazy, I was able to put pressure bandages on them, but a toe would be hard.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION OF THE DAY.....HOW MUCH BLOOD IS INSIDE OUR FEATHERD KIDS??? Anyone know?

Quote:

He is about 7 weeks old now.......any idea about what he should weigh? His comb and wattles are growing and turning red......no crowing yet. A lot of singing and chattering in my ear!

I honestly have no idea about correct weights and all other than when they get over 16 oz. BUT some one else will be able to answer that.......enjoy every precious second of that chittering Brenda........when the day comes that its gone, you will be sad........"my baby is growing up".........
hugs.gif
love.gif

Quote:

Yes, I too am seeing this post from Whitney WAAAY after the fact...
sad.png
Super glue is the way to go. I agree cauterizing was the way to go, but for the faint of heart...super glue is easier. Silver nitrate is great too. Didn't kow you could still get that stuff...gotta go looking for it now.... I once had to cut spurs and they bled like crazy, I was able to put pressure bandages on them, but a toe would be hard.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION OF THE DAY.....HOW MUCH BLOOD IS INSIDE OUR FEATHERD KIDS??? Anyone know?

Good question. Do you know? Can't be much.

Back
Top Bottom