American serama thread!

lol- I will pop in to visit now and then and maybe post pictures. This is a great site for pictures but when no ones here to look at them it sucks.

OH-ICK, A BUG!

Red Rooster very funny. Looks like I will make Monroe. Do you have any young birds to sell at this time? I am looking to get 3 or 4 trios and I want them from different stock. I will be getting some from Laura later. I have 3 young ones right now from Jeanine (in oregon - CloverLeaf Farms is her BYC "name").

The full grown ones?  Or just the young ones?  I don't really have a good way of keeping their coop that warm...

Granted I live in Florida but I don't supply any heat for them. It has gotten down to 28 a few nights here and all I did was pull in some hay around their roosts and put plastic on most of the sides of the pen to keep the draft off them. I know that Grady Taylor (he lives near me) also doesn't supplement heat to his unless it is going to be below freezing and then he puts them in a garage overnight and his live in small wire cages outside.
sharon

They would just be for pets - no showing, no breeding. I just have general questions... Are they flighty? Do they get along with other? What's their personalities... That kind of thing.

Seramas are people birds - the more they are handled the friendlier they are. If you look back a few pages you will find the "chicken sling" my daughter made for one of our birds - Bumble. Bumble just adores my daughter and wants to be everywhere with her. So many people on here are breeders for show - and I too am heading in that direction - but these are just some of the nicest little birds and made great pets. Laura Castle tells a story of one of hers and how her daughter would give him "tummy kisses". I know this answer is late....but just wanted you to know.

Oh, when Bumble is running loose in the house...she is running with a "flock/pack" that also contains 2 geriatric small dogs, 2 younger small dogs, and 3 cats. She puts the dogs in their place occasionally.

Oh heck, here are a couple photos: (well only one photo) Could not find the one where Bumble was finishing off the cereal out of the bowl and the dog was sitting behind her watching. If I find it I will post it.

Chicken sling:

Smooth mule: You commented on this person's birds. I was just curious. I have a young cockerel with the same kind of eyes. Do you see how there is more white showing. They are not full and black eyes like most of my birds. Kind of looked weird to me at first. He is a pretty nice looking bird and I wanted to make sure that this would not be considered a "fault" or "points off" for showing. The bird below is not mine - this is the one you were discussing colors and I just noticed he had the same eyes as my young one.

I would love input from anyone regarding this.

Smooth mule: You commented on this person's birds. I was just curious. I have a young cockerel with the same kind of eyes. Do you see how there is more white showing. They are not full and black eyes like most of my birds. Kind of looked weird to me at first. He is a pretty nice looking bird and I wanted to make sure that this would not be considered a "fault" or "points off" for showing. The bird below is not mine - this is the one you were discussing colors and I just noticed he had the same eyes as my young one.

I have not shown so I can't really say about that being a fault. I've never heard of that though. I think it's just the angle that shows it. Horses eyes are the same. Appaloosa's show a lot of sclera, it's an appaloosa characteristic. But most horses can show some sclera (white) when the eyes are turned to the far right or left. That isn't the same as Appaloosa showing sclera. So the simple answer is I don't know but I don't think this Serama shows anything abnormal at all.

It would depend on the show, if it was just an open show I would say no fault or point deduct. If a sanctioned serama show with table top, I would say you would have to read the breed description for the club you are showing at (now that there are two), and see if there is anything in regards to eyes???

It would depend on the show, if it was just an open show I would say no fault or point deduct. If a sanctioned serama show with table top, I would say you would have to read the breed description for the club you are showing at (now that there are two), and see if there is anything in regards to eyes???

thank you.

Seramas are people birds - the more they are handled the friendlier they are. If you look back a few pages you will find the "chicken sling" my daughter made for one of our birds - Bumble. Bumble just adores my daughter and wants to be everywhere with her. So many people on here are breeders for show - and I too am heading in that direction - but these are just some of the nicest little birds and made great pets. Laura Castle tells a story of one of hers and how her daughter would give him "tummy kisses". I know this answer is late....but just wanted you to know.

Oh, when Bumble is running loose in the house...she is running with a "flock/pack" that also contains 2 geriatric small dogs, 2 younger small dogs, and 3 cats. She puts the dogs in their place occasionally.

Oh heck, here are a couple photos: (well only one photo) Could not find the one where Bumble was finishing off the cereal out of the bowl and the dog was sitting behind her watching. If I find it I will post it.

Chicken sling:

Oh no, its not too late. I'm scrambling around everywhere trying find everything I can about Seramas. I have room for two bantams, but I want to make sure I pick the best breed for me. I've heard Seramas highly recomended on here, so I might want to get a couple of the ladies.

p.s. I love the chicken sling!

Last edited:

It is actually the lens on his eye. from this angle it sure looks like he has lighter eyes then he does. I had to go out and look at him to make sure of it for myself. I never noticed this in the pic (nice catch!!!). I do have some of him in another post were he is older to compare to if possible.

And smoothmule thank you for your input I guess its back to the drawing board to see just what he may be. The pic's you provided do help clear up just what I need to be looking for in a chocolate.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom