American serama thread!

Thanks, guys! I love that guy already, He is as sweet as can be...loves to sit on my lap and be loved. I'm looking for a couple pretty girls for him, got a couple good leads so far ;)

Hi All,
I would love functional critique on some birds . Sorry we don't pose as a rule so this might be hard for some .
I did try to catch poses as best as possible.
Chainsaw and Ptarmigan are parents and the kids are Saw Dust and Stripe, Duster is the cockerel.
I'm trying to determine mainly if Dusty is a keeper compared to his dad and or if i should keep breed Stripe back to Chain. I am contemplating Dusty to Ptarmigan as well because Ptarmigans brother was a really nice bird and I think the good stuff I am seeing has come from her. What do you all think of Brother to sister matings?
Chainsaw
Ptarmy
Duster
Stripe
I am looking to obtain a good bird or two if anyone local to Seattle area has a bird or two that they think could work to improve the line. Any one interested in forming a local club?

Duster is about 4 months old? I'd wait a couple months to see how he filld out, and then post a photo of a side view. The 3/4 front pic can hide a long back. I like Chainsaw. Pretty head, fairly correct wheaten color, and if he were posing, I imagine that his wings would present more vertically. Can't see his legs very well, but they look dark. The offspring's legs are good and yellow, so maybe it's just the shadow? I don't like the curve of his main sickles, but that's really minor fault. I like stripe better than her mother, but that's only because her tail appears more fanned out. They both have long backs, and they're more banana shaped. They look like they have decent wing length, though. In general, I like the boys better than the girls, which is a shame, because it's much easier to find good males for sale. RedRooster Seramas is in Washington. Try contacting her to see if she has anything you might be able to use.

I'm thinking that under the frizzled feathering, and cream color there may be wheaten on this pullet. I got this pullet today, in a trade with my friend Ruth. I've named her Peaches
smile.png

Last edited:
I decided to sell (auction) my Frizzled cockerel. He will be available in October, he's breeding now and I want to hatch a couple of chicks by this fella. His name is Rolo. his dad is a split for chocolate wheaten. His mother is chocolate. I cannot absolutely say for certain he is chocolate. Each feather has a dark, chocolate or black, lacing with red in the middle. It's so hard to tell with these frizzles sometimes. He's too young to see if he has an green sheen, I'm not seeing any yet. But, I can say with certainty that he does have at least one gene for chocolate and is a carrier if he is not chocolate himself.

Thinking he may be chocolate but breeding results will confirm it.

I'll try to get a better picture of him in pose, he can stand up nice and his legs are not short, not super long but very adequate for bringing his wings up nicely . He wasn't sure at all about the set up where I was trying to take pictures and being away from his hens. He has very nice yellow legs and he should be an excellent candidate for a frizzled Cocopop project. I have him with 2 chocolate pullets, he's breeding and I hope to hatch some of his chicks before October. I will have some answers about his color by then and will open an auction on him as soon as I have at least 2 chicks hatched by him and out of the chocolate hens. Anyone interested can PM me with questions before he is actually available.

Definitely a cocopop look. Bred to a cocopop hen, I think he should make true cocopop chicks in straight and frizzled. Just needs the pumpkin gene, and I have a couple of pumpkin hens I'll be trying with him too. Both of these pullets and their mother are wheaten with pumpkin. They will cross nice with him. I'll still be selling him once I try him with a few hens here. I'll post when I have his first chicks.

I have another hen that will be an even better cross to the frizzled cockerel. This is Sahara. She was a young pullet here, she's much nicer now with good type and she definitely has the pumpkin diluter for cocopop

Back
Top Bottom