American serama thread!

When breeding chickens, are there certain physical, non color oriented, traits that can be determined to be dominant over others, such as size, wing carriage, length of legs/wings/beak etc.... the things that make up a bird's type not color? It's so hard to find information on that part of breeding. I know I need a good book, but... a bit tight on the money belt at the moment (want to buy more hardware cloth, LOL)
That stuff is a little trickier. There's not just long wings and short wings, there's everything in between. Everyone seems to reccommend that you breed the birds with the most desirable features, and you want to pair up complimentary birds. That means that you need to breed a bird with a great this and a mediocre that to a bird with a great that and not so good this. There's a good amount of guessing and finger crossing involved, but after a few years you'll get a handle on your flock and start seeing what you want.

That didn't come out right. I'm not reccommending that you breed mediocre birds, but you might find that you have a bird with great wings, tail, and chest, but a wonky comb and feather stubs on its legs. Find you a bird that excells where he lacks, but make sure the rest of her is decent enough, too.

Thanks catwalk, I was afraid it was more art than science! LOL. Too many factors, unlike color, and look what is involved in color
barnie.gif
Already complicated enough, LOL

Thanks so much artsyrobin! Maybe by sheer good-thought power, they'll make it to the finish line! LOL

Yah, I got the idea, catwalk :D I want to try my hand at this, but not on a big scale. Just for fun :D Thank you so much :D

Last edited:
No eggs here in forever!

I am getting two more pairs of seramas soon. One pair that is supposed to be LA seramas and one that is OC seramas. The ones from LA are gorgeous, but the roo has wry tail. The others are gorgeous, but the hen doesn't lay fertile eggs.

I figure if I combine the two without defects, then I have another nice pair and a pair of cuties. I love the wry tail boy. He is so adorable! The infertile hen is the cutest thing ever! I'm so excited to be getting more seramas, too!

Back
Top Bottom