Americana/EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EIOR, Sep 18, 2016.

1. EIOR

EIOR New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Originally thought this was a pullet but now I'm not so sure... two half brothers are definitely cockerel and have been apparent for a long time, posturing, long sickles already... Thanks![​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm leaning towards EE cockerel, but I would love to see a picture of the saddle feathers specifically first. [​IMG] I once had an EE with red shoulder patches, only to find out after I have "him" away, "he" turned out to be a "she." [​IMG]

~Alex

1 person likes this.
  3. EIOR

EIOR New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    That's what I'm worried about! Giving away his/her two cockerel half brothers in a few days and wondering if I should add this one or hold it back... hatched some of our own and the two cockerel were obvious very early on, fighting, posturing, combs and now feathers. This one has skinny legs, smaller and lighter comb, horizontal posture, but that tail...?? And now it does look like a saddle... :(

4. EIOR

EIOR New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    And feet [​IMG]

5. EIOR

EIOR New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Saddle? [​IMG]

That's what I'm worried about! Giving away the two cockerel half brothers in a few days and unsure if I should include this one too or not...

6. Shaunassy

Shaunassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2016
    Fl
    The saddle feathers are the long feathers right before the tail. Pointy=male
    Round=female
    Based of the pic they look pointy so the bird in question looks to be a cockerel.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

8. EIOR

EIOR New Egg

Sep 18, 2016
    Thank you for the explanation, but, with the chicken anatomical terms I was raised with anyway, only a rooster has a saddle, complete with pointy feathers. A hen has a cushion and a back, but lacks the rooster saddle. She does have more rounded feather, yes! I know a roo has hackles, saddle and sickles, the question was just are these feathers pointy enough to be a saddle? I think yes too, but was hoping no... "He" hasn't made a peep and the brothers "he" was hatched with have been trying to crow and mount for weeks now... I was hoping! Thank you both :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by