Americana/EE

EIOR

Hatching
Sep 18, 2016
Originally thought this was a pullet but now I'm not so sure... two half brothers are definitely cockerel and have been apparent for a long time, posturing, long sickles already... Thanks!

That's what I'm worried about! Giving away his/her two cockerel half brothers in a few days and wondering if I should add this one or hold it back... hatched some of our own and the two cockerel were obvious very early on, fighting, posturing, combs and now feathers. This one has skinny legs, smaller and lighter comb, horizontal posture, but that tail...?? And now it does look like a saddle... :(

Saddle?

That's what I'm worried about! Giving away the two cockerel half brothers in a few days and unsure if I should include this one too or not...

The saddle feathers are the long feathers right before the tail. Pointy=male
Round=female
Based of the pic they look pointy so the bird in question looks to be a cockerel.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation, but, with the chicken anatomical terms I was raised with anyway, only a rooster has a saddle, complete with pointy feathers. A hen has a cushion and a back, but lacks the rooster saddle. She does have more rounded feather, yes! I know a roo has hackles, saddle and sickles, the question was just are these feathers pointy enough to be a saddle? I think yes too, but was hoping no... "He" hasn't made a peep and the brothers "he" was hatched with have been trying to crow and mount for weeks now... I was hoping! Thank you both :)

Back
Top Bottom