Americana Hen not doing so well

RS16017

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
A few days ago I wrote hoping to find out what might be wrong with my old hen. Over the weekend it dawned on me what might have happened to her. My brother had a horse that did this and I had an old dog that had one and now I believe my hen is showing all the symptoms of a stroke. Has anyone ever had a chicken have a stroke? She can't walk and even has trouble with her balance while sitting. One eye stays closed most of the time. Her bottom jaw doesn't line up with her upper beak anymore. She doses most of the day but when you wake her up she is alert to what is going on around her. She eats and drinks and manages to hobble in and out of her coop. I don't think she'll ever get better so I just try and make her as comfortable as I can.

Have you checked her over for mites/lice and have you ever wormed her? I have never had a hen have a stroke, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. I have had a hen and rooster get all wobbly when we had a mite infestation though. (not that you do) Might be a good idea to check these things just to rule them out.

It certainly sounds like she may have had a stroke.

Sudden onset of leg paralysis can also be a sign of Marek's. Do her pupils look like they are losing their shape at all?

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom