Americauna Crowing Hen or Rooster?

We are in a similar situation. It just dawned on me that one of our 5 month old americaunas (or EE?) is a boy. He/She has a dark pink comb, is larger, and has always been more aggressive, and stands off to the side when I bring treats out (letting the ladies eat first?). A few days ago, he bit down on a barred rock's neck and mounted her. Finally, today, he looked directly at me and cock-a-doodle-dood! What are your expert opinions? And should I worry about fertilized eggs? We have 10 chickens altogether and 4 are laying. The picture below was from 2 months ago.

Yep, this is a rooster. You'll have fertilized eggs, but so do many folks here. Embryos don't start developing until the egg had been incubated at 100 degrees for a few days. Just collect your eggs every day or so and you'll have no problems. I've had roosters with my laying flock for 20 years and never had a nasty surprise when I cracked an egg.

When I originally got the Silkies I was a new egg. I did not research the breed like I should have. Silkies are a very cute chicken but just not a breed for us. Since we live in Boise city limits we are only allowed 6 hens. I am now very selective about the birds and am sure to research prior to adding a new breed to the flock. The reason we have chickens is to teach our children where food comes from. When they stop laying they go into the stew pot. The kiddos collect the eggs every day after school. They feed, water and clean the coop. They understand that chicken does not come from the store, it is only sold there.

Also I have discovered that 'Berry' is actually a Blue Splash Wheaten Ameraucana. Not sure if that makes a difference, or if its a true 'Ameraucana'.

Also I have discovered that 'Berry' is actually a Blue Splash Wheaten Ameraucana. Not sure if that makes a difference, or if its a true 'Ameraucana'.

Sorry, but that bird isn't a splash. He has more red than blue on him, all that leakage means he does not meet the standard for the color. He's very pretty, but he's not an Ameraucana.

Sorry, but that bird isn't a splash. He has more red than blue on him, all that leakage means he does not meet the standard for the color. He's very pretty, but he's not an Ameraucana.

A splash wheaten (not just splash) would have a lot of red yes? Although the pictures I've seen feature more red on the head than Berry. Also the yellow beak is telling me he probably has green legs, not slate, right?

Edit: To be clear, green legs = Easter Egger.

Last edited:
The Americauna's? I purchased two sets of 2. Out of the first 2 only 'Berry' survived. He is the very pretty, VERY tame one in the first photos. I got him from a lady that had him delivered to me from Hammett Idaho. I paid $4 each for them. The 2nd set of 2 'Black Head' and 'White Head' I paid $6 each for. The lady I purchased them from said she ordered them pre-sexed and had to order 20 at a time. I have white eggs and brown eggs. I REALLY wanted a splash of color!

Sorry. Most people who think they have Ameraucanas haven't researched much and actually have Easter Eggers. Then, they pass it along, telling their customers they are getting Ameraucanas when actually they're getting Easter Eggers, (cross breeds, mixes...)

If you're truly purchasing an Ameraucana, you will probably pay $10-$20 at least for one.

You roosters are pretty, sorry they're not hens.

Next time, just look for an Easter Egger, you'll hopefully get a colored egg. Look for a dull chick or bird, look for one with only one ridge of comb instead of 3.

I have been lucky enough to get a few easter egger pullets and am now just waiting for them to lay eggs. 'Berry' the Roo is now happy on a friends farm. He has actually gotten a lot more color around his head and his tail feathers are really long. He is indeed a beautiful bird, I just couldn't keep him in town. I recently acquired 2 incubators (Hova Bator & a HUGE Jamesway 1875 I doubt I will ever use the Jamesway) and next time I am on the lookout for a particular breed I intend on ordering and hatching eggs. Thanks for all the info and input from everyone :)

I'm just wondering...you say you can have only 6 hens, being in the city limits. What are you going to do with all the roosters you hatch out?

Back
Top Bottom