Amerigas Rant....

Aren't these trucks issuing a ticket, that is calculated by a punchcard on the guage, so that it can't be tampered with, by the driver? I would insist on it. Are you paying by the pound, which is how they sell it here? A 100lb cylinder is currently being filled for $60, at the service center.

Update on the situation.

I finally spoke with the mgr. at the company I want to switch to (Parker Oil). There are several options to get them to my place, but none will happen Quickly enough to keep me from running out of heat. And all will still leave that tank sitting under my yard accruing rent.
I checked with the county and found out that AG never filed an easement (?) when they burried their tank on my property. Per Parker Oil, that means it's mine - per AG, all that means is that they are responsible to dig it up (instead of me).
I called AG and was put on hold multiple times while the woman who answered the phone checked with the manager to answer my questions - and when I asked to speak to him directly I was told that he had just left. They did - however - offer to match the lower price/gallon.
I'm waiting to speak to the AG manager when he gets in today. I wouldn't be suprised to find out that he had just returned from filing and easement with my county........
However - if they will indeed match the price, then that may be the best option for now. I can get just enough propane to keep the house warm through the winter and have time to work out the details of switching companies this summer without all the pressure and stress.

It's weird. I've always been a pretty independant person, never had trouble making 'big' decisions. But since I've lost Bob, it seems like I get completely imobolized when there are any decisions to make about the house or the farm. The more it happens, the worse it gets. Can't imagine what a mess I'll be if there is ever a 'real' issue.
hide.gif

UPDATE:
JUST SPOKE WITH THE MGR AT AG!
They are releasing my tank! YEAH
clap.gif
As soon as Parker Oil can have a new tank delivered to AG, parker will be free to fill my tank - and save me about $1055.00 in heating costs this winter!!!!!
wee.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Please make sure you read all the fine print so that you don't end up in this same mess again. I'm glad to hear you were able resolve it.

I previously was an owner of a very large propane distribution company and I would advise anyone who is considering propane or who uses propane now to:

1. always buy and own your tank. You can search around and find a good, used tank for quite a bit cheaper then you could ever get from a gas company.
2. the tank does not need to be buried and I prefer mine to be above ground. Easier to maintain and an above ground tank is cheaper. Just plant bushes around it.
3. Just this past week I noticed that my 250 gallon tank was at the 35% level and began calling around to arrange a fill. The prices I was quoted was a high of $4.17 per gallon to a low of $2.42 per gallon. This is in a small town so if you own your own tank you are free to call around and negotiate. If you lease the tank you are stuck with one provider and they know it.
4. Never go on any plan no matter what. Look at the guage on your tank and call for fills when you want them and watch them f8ill it up. The guage reads in a percentage so mif you know the total gallons of your tank you can tell how many gallons it will take to fill it considering that they do not fill it to 100%.
5. They do NOT sell propane by the pound. It is sold and charged when delivered by a truck by gallons.
6. I have found propane a great alternative energy source and I use it for all my cooking, water heater and heat (not much needed here in Florida but the gas fireplace looks nice.)

Quote:
I would not think that someone could file an easement on your property without your permission. Easements are generally filed during development or construction, not at a later date. Now a lein can be filed against property for monies owed or expected to be owed (for example, if you plan on major construction or remodel, it is common for the contractors to file leins, which are released as they are paid.

Quote:
I soo agree with all of this! We bought a 150 gallon tank about 16 years ago, and we still use it. Last year, a gas co that we used for years charged us over $4 a gallon, and I found out about an hour later that we could have gotten it for just over$2 a gallon. I called our co, and told them that I thought we had a good relationship, and that we feel taken advantage of. This summer, we called the $2ish a gallon company, and bought enough that we locked in the $2ish a gallon for the next 200 gallons. I would just buy a used tank, and then you won't be held over a barrel (or a tank) by anyone. And we call when we are low, not the top off stuff.

Back
Top Bottom