Amers d’Anvers

Pics
Most rare ducks are Australian Spotted 2 and Dutch Hookbill 2. But those aren’t in the Standard so next up is the Mandarin at three which is technically in the bantam Standard.
Cotton patch Geese are 2.
Also rare are the Steinbachers at 16. Actually, there were no Canadas exhibited at all.
Apparently 5 Campbell chickens were reported which I personally do not believe exist.
You know how large fowl Cochins were the most common large fowl in the yearbook? Now it is Ameraucanas at 787. There also really were 4 Redcaps.
Rarest were SC Rhode Island White at 2 and 2 Welsh Harlequins (someone really needs to vet this list) but sc RIW aren’t a breed and Welsh Harlequins are ducks so rarest largefowl actually goes to Russian Orloff at 3. And Old English Game bantams and then Call ducks are still by far the most common.

I try to use natural incubation if possible.
Chick mortality decreases significantly and I never get any crossbeaks or stargazers or pasty butt. D’Anvers eggs are super high maintenance for some reason and have all kinds of issues. 8 babies.
313765E5-8390-4FDE-BD1F-5319CA3A3608.jpeg
C7925AEC-5FD5-404C-92E3-661CB2A574A9.jpeg

Oh, wow! What cute coloring! And cheeks! Is it a mottled?
Yes, I hatched out 6 of my mottleds and I just love their coloring. :) I have one rooster in with 2 mottleds and 3 blacks to improve their body type and beards. Hoping the cheeks on this baby are a good sign hehe. I moved my self-blue pullet in with him too now that the Chicken Expo eggs are hatched out and ready for sale--he is a very nice rooster with a fantastic beard that is no longer seen because the ladies groomed it off of him :( Poor dude!

I have a self-blue rooster too, but he's SO not show quality so I hatched a bunch of "pet quality" chicks to sell, they are all super adorable, but lack the body type and feather quality I want in self-blues.

Yes, I hatched out 6 of my mottleds and I just love their coloring. :) I have one rooster in with 2 mottleds and 3 blacks to improve their body type and beards. Hoping the cheeks on this baby are a good sign hehe. I moved my self-blue pullet in with him too now that the Chicken Expo eggs are hatched out and ready for sale--he is a very nice rooster with a fantastic beard that is no longer seen because the ladies groomed it off of him :( Poor dude!

I have a self-blue rooster too, but he's SO not show quality so I hatched a bunch of "pet quality" chicks to sell, they are all super adorable, but lack the body type and feather quality I want in self-blues.
Yeah, I remember I judged a fair and gave the self blue a fourth. He was super healthy with strong wiry muscles but he was really ugly and didn’t have the d’Anvers type at all. Apparently he was very fertile too, and had a bunch of hens.

Back
Top Bottom