Amers d’Anvers

Pics
Same! I really want to start showing birds one day! I don't know if I'm too old though at 26🤷‍♂️😭
No way! A lot of peeps start when they’re kids are in 4-H! Some start after the kids leave the house! You’re young!
I have two d’anver bantams! We adopted them from someone who was getting rid of their whole flock!😁
Nilla the white d’anver (she’s still growing in her tail from her molt!😉)-
View attachment 2822874View attachment 2822875Cookie the non-muffed/bearded mottled d’anver-View attachment 2822876
Both very cute! Cookie is not a d’Anvers, the beard is an essential part of Belgian bantams. Could have d’Anvers in there somewhere though
@Amer So I saw an ad for exhibition quality single comb light brown Leghorns in my area. Said stock came from one of the top exhibition Leghorn breeders in the states.
I text and they immediately replied with a pic of "the father". Not the best pic to tell conformation. It was a guy holding the bird.
I asked what he had for sell. Said only a couple 10 week old pullets and 5 or 6 matching cockerels. Never sent pics of them or any other pics.
I asked if he showed. No blah blah blah these come from top breeder blah blah blah.
I asked who. He replied the parent stock are out of such and such Kansas. I said ya but who was the top leghorn breeders name. Said I was curious if it was a name I'd heard of.
He asked if I showed. I said not lately but I still go to a show or two a year. No replies back. Ghosted.
I was trying.
Weirdo. In this context, that guy, not you. Not that you aren’t also a weirdo, but at least you aren’t that kind of weirdo.
You need Danny Feathers or Don Schrider.

I clerked for a judge at a show and he disqualified two black Wyandotte bantams for having so much facial feathering it wasn’t quite a beard, like the gene wasn’t present, but it was getting close.
xD @MagpieDucks

A d’Anvers won reserve champion bantam at the show. Not mine though.
545814D9-3CB5-42F2-B1D3-371EB0A37C3A.jpeg

So a Dumb Silkie went broody and I was like: couldn’t hurt to put d’Anvers eggs in the nesting box and humor her, right? It’s a couple weeks later and I decide I should probably make sure the eggs are fertile so I bring my flashlight… I guess my judgement of time is poor, and a couple days ago my mom candled, according to her, so now we have two. Blue and quail.
8DFC3F1C-4B21-442E-9FA5-B8FBE7C395FE.jpeg
Also bad news folks. I’ve decided to disband the blue project. For whatever reason my blue hens and the cockerel that I had just introduced in their pen as my promising new male breeder became ill with some kind of respiratory infection. Rather than let disease spread to the rest of the flock I decided to kill them. I’m just glad I caught it early. I’ll try to sell the couple of young birds I have left. The fertility issues and my shifting focus to mainly the quails and cuckoo project makes me think it wouldn’t be worth it to try to rebuild from there.

So a Dumb Silkie went broody and I was like: couldn’t hurt to put d’Anvers eggs in the nesting box and humor her, right? It’s a couple weeks later and I decide I should probably make sure the eggs are fertile so I bring my flashlight… I guess my judgement of time is poor, and a couple days ago my mom candled, according to her, so now we have two. Blue and quail.
View attachment 2855763
Also bad news folks. I’ve decided to disband the blue project. For whatever reason my blue hens and the cockerel that I had just introduced in their pen as my promising new male breeder became ill with some kind of respiratory infection. Rather than let disease spread to the rest of the flock I decided to kill them. I’m just glad I caught it early. I’ll try to sell the couple of young birds I have left. The fertility issues and my shifting focus to mainly the quails and cuckoo project makes me think it wouldn’t be worth it to try to rebuild from there.
So cute!! :love Sorry about your project!😕

Back
Top Bottom