Amers d’Anvers

It kicked me off after a minute because I don’t have an account 😅
No that’s fair
If you go on a laptop it is less vehement about that. I remember when I used to read a blog without an account for a long time before deciding I wanted to make one to interact with the poster.
And now I have three blogs how could this happen.

No that’s fair
If you go on a laptop it is less vehement about that. I remember when I used to read a blog without an account for a long time before deciding I wanted to make one to interact with the poster.
And now I have three blogs how could this happen.
Kind of unrelated, but that reminded me, do you use iNaturalist? I use it mostly to look at cool feral pigeons. People post a surprising amount of all-white pigeons on there and I always wonder if they're white homers or ferals.

Kind of unrelated, but that reminded me, do you use iNaturalist? I use it mostly to look at cool feral pigeons. People post a surprising amount of all-white pigeons on there and I always wonder if they're white homers or ferals.
Sometime I take a glance at it. Considering white is recessive I think it could easily get distributed throughout the feral population.

F1s and F2s are so interesting because you can breed a bunch of identical looking birds together and get totally random results. But I was not expecting the “lightening” genes to line up just so in a way to produce such a pale cuckoo male. It almost looks like sex-linked dilution
He almost looks lavender. He is dove grey as all get out.
This is the parent pen btw

FC5F37D3-1881-4870-B688-BCC6190AD2C2.jpeg

F1s and F2s are so interesting because you can breed a bunch of identical looking birds together and get totally random results. But I was not expecting the “lightening” genes to line up just so in a way to produce such a pale cuckoo male. It almost looks like sex-linked dilution
He almost looks lavender. He is dove grey as all get out.
This is the parent pen btw

View attachment 3817219
Do you think it’s just dilution or something else?

Do you think it’s just dilution or something else?
Hmm well you see… the more I think about it…
Years ago when I got my first cuckoo d’Anvers pair the male died quickly an unexpectedly. But a lot of cuckoo d’Anver males have a very light cuckoo coloring so I’m wondering if that’s coming out…
A84A9779-F2B6-4843-8990-9E80EA61D631.jpeg
9F0DB02E-C8A1-48CF-BC45-B0C095CBDD51.jpeg

I don’t have any complete pictures of him but you can see his back in the background, quite a contrast from the female.

Is there any possibility that there is lavender in the genetics. The parents being carriers and it never coming out until now?

Is there any possibility that there is lavender in the genetics. The parents being carriers and it never coming out until now?
I thought that but the F1 male has an unrelated d’Anver dam from the F1 hens. The chance of both cuckoo d’Anvers hens carrying lavender is pretty slim. This is the only one I hatched like this out of dozens (mind there were multiple mothers and not all might carry lavender in this theoretical scenario.)

Back
Top Bottom