Amerucana x Marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gunnarmcc, Jun 21, 2011.

1. gunnarmcc

gunnarmcc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    i am wondering if anyone as crossed these two before? im sure it has been done but what was the outcome?i was thinking you could cross a show quality black copper marans roo to a bright blue egg laying amerucana hen

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    The outcome is a first generation olive egger [​IMG]

3. gunnarmcc

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    so is it pretty much a common EE cross?

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    It makes beautiful Olive Eggers. I have blue feathered Olive Eggers and love them.

I crossed a blue Ameraucana hen and a very light feathered Golden Cuckoo Marans roo.

I have crossed many different roos in both EE and Marans with hens in EE, Marans and Ameraucana to see what different combinations of feathering I would get and the eggs are such a fabulous addition to my egg cartons.
    Not to mention some fabulous looking hens. The roos have enough meat for eating, too so none of my projects have gone to waste.

5. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    My Olive Eggers are black and lay a gorgeous dark olive egg. People always comment on how unusual the egg color is!

6. gunnarmcc

Jun 10, 2011
    SSF, CA
    that was what made me think of it the combo of the dark brown and the blue making this amazing colored egg... does anyone have any pullets or chicks out of this breeding that they are looking to sell?

7. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I recently added EE and FBCM for the egg colors, then I realized I had the making of Olive eggers! With a little reading I found there are two olive egg colors. F1 is a medium olive; crossed with another marans gives a darker olive. Yeah, more colors to go in an egg basket!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by