1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Amount of calcium supplement for possible prolapse?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theothermaryd, Dec 9, 2011.

1. theothermaryd

theothermaryd New Egg

Apr 4, 2011
    One of my 7 month old Buff Orps has a vent that looks as though it's open. Nothing is protruding...yet. After some research, I found that not enough calcium can be a factor in prolapse. We had been watering the chickens from an outside faucet all summer and fall (hard water) but recently started getting water from an inside faucet (soft water). We feed Blue Seal Egg Maker crumbles and offer free choice oyster shell, but I'm wondering if this young flock, laying almost an egg per hen per day, needs an additional calcium supplement.

I got the only calcium supplement that Tractor Supply had, and TSC is the only place open now. It is Goats Prefer brand Calcium Drench. It has about 4 grams of calcium (calcium chloride) per ounce. I haven't been able to find a dose in grams for calcium supplementation, just so many ml of specific products. Anyone know how much of this I might give immediately and what kind of product would be good for a maintenance supplement?

In case Ginger's next egg causes a full blown prolapse, I'm ready with the warm bath, honey, Preparation H and cozy dog kennel. Any other recommendations?

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    I would feed oyster shell free choice. They will only eat what they need. Put it in a separate dish.

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    I believe I read that it's not about how much Calcium they're getting as much as about how much Calcium their body is using properly and there's not a lot you can do about that?
    And, too much Calcium can cause problems, too? Laying feed has extra calcium already and then with the Oyster Shell Grit supplement... I think that would be enough.

Otherwise.. sounds like you are ready and doing everything right... you might go ahead and do the warm bath and "honey on the finger", into the vent... "treatment".... before she gets a full on prolapse.. I don't think it can do any harm and might "tighten things up" and prevent a problem?

I am sure others know more... or you might continue your Search here on BYC regarding "Prolapse" and "Prolapse treatments"... "Prolapse prevention", etc.

I don't know about softened water... the safety of it... the salt content?

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by