Prolapse- anything else to notice?

Manitobagirl

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2023
Hi-
One of our hens has a small prolapse from yesterday I’m working on with honey/glucose water, tucking it back in and pressure. Also supplemented the water with magnesium and have calcium available as per usual via eggshells and grit/calcium supplement. I noticed it about an hour after it happened judging by the egg temperature and the egg was clean.

Does anyone see anything else based on this pic I should worry about? It’s -40 Celsius with windchill which is about -40 F and we have a heat plate in the coop so I’m trying really hard to keep her mostly dry and not give her frostbite with the cleaning. I’m balancing bringing her in the house with the cold.

She has a bit of a bulge around the vent and I’m wondering if I should be pushing on that gently as well as the actual material. Also wondering if the poop consistency is typical with this or if there’s some sort of infection I should treat too…

Attachments

• 74F3226B-8DB0-4205-B567-7F18B819CBA1.jpeg
    74F3226B-8DB0-4205-B567-7F18B819CBA1.jpeg
    604.8 KB · Views: 84
We bit the bullet and brought her in the house and are giving her cool yogurt and have her by the door to try to bring the temp down a bit for her. She does seem more comfortable inside and her butt is looking better. So we’ll keep her inside this week and pray it’s better by Sunday when it’s supposed to be up to 0 Celsius and hopefully she’ll be ok going back out. Dunno what else to do for her. We don’t have a midway point to use. No garage or anything. It’s either their coop with radiant heat but still -20 C or the house.

Can you get some clear well, lit photos of the vent ?

Is there damage to the vent from picking?

I'd give her Extra Calcium. If you have Calcium Citrate with D3 that would be good, just pop 1 tablet into her beak and let her swallow. If not, then 1 TUMS will work o.k.
She needs calcium to help with retention and healing.

Keep any exposed tissue moist with oil, honey, ointment. If she's not lethargic, then a daily soaking in Epsom Salts may help reduce swelling.
You can try to push the tissue back in, but often it will take time to go back in due to swelling/inflammation and it may not stay in when she poops or lays an egg.

Keep her hydrated and eating her normal feed.

Can you get some clear well, lit photos of the vent ?

Is there damage to the vent from picking?

I'd give her Extra Calcium. If you have Calcium Citrate with D3 that would be good, just pop 1 tablet into her beak and let her swallow. If not, then 1 TUMS will work o.k.
She needs calcium to help with retention and healing.

Keep any exposed tissue moist with oil, honey, ointment. If she's not lethargic, then a daily soaking in Epsom Salts may help reduce swelling.
You can try to push the tissue back in, but often it will take time to go back in due to swelling/inflammation and it may not stay in when she poops or lays an egg.

Keep her hydrated and eating her normal feed.
Here you are! It’s looking pretty good today I think. Aside from the honey on her feathers which we’ll have to give her a good bath and dry before we try going back outside later this week.

No. No picking I don’t think. It was very small. More like swollen tissues at the edges, so when putting it back in the first time didn’t work after an hour we brought her straight inside. I think it must have happened within the hour before I went out because I check them pretty good every day and the egg she laid wasn’t frozen yet.

There does seem to be a bulge up against the vent skin. I’m wondering if I should apply gentle pressure against the whole vent to encourage it back further into her body?

Attachments

• A4733B5A-1AF5-4DA4-AC55-C2A79C368379.jpeg
    A4733B5A-1AF5-4DA4-AC55-C2A79C368379.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 18
Here you are! It’s looking pretty good today I think. Aside from the honey on her feathers which we’ll have to give her a good bath and dry before we try going back outside later this week.

No. No picking I don’t think. It was very small. More like swollen tissues at the edges, so when putting it back in the first time didn’t work after an hour we brought her straight inside. I think it must have happened within the hour before I went out because I check them pretty good every day and the egg she laid wasn’t frozen yet.

There does seem to be a bulge up against the vent skin. I’m wondering if I should apply gentle pressure against the whole vent to encourage it back further into her body?
Should add- No not lethargic at all. Quite chatty and happy. I think she is enjoying the indoor vacation lol.

If she's chatty and happy, I'd give her daily soakings to see if that will help reduce the inflammation.
Hopefully the Calcium will also help her to begin to retain the tissue. Just keep it moist while any of it is still exposed.

Should add- No not lethargic at all. Quite chatty and happy. I think she is enjoying the indoor vacation lol.
that's good to hear! my Isa Brown hen Fluffy June had a prolapse. my parents, especially my dad hates my chickens, so they would not let me bring her inside. my dad had to use the broomstick method on her.

Back
Top Bottom