Please help, hen prolapse is bleeding a lot more

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hello, my around 2 year old ISA Brown Hen has a prolapse vent the second time this year. Her earlier prolapse was managed perfectly fine. Unfortunately, this time not so much. I noticed excessive poop buildup on her vent and unfortunately this time the poop built up on her prolapse. This made it really hard to clean and it was so upsetting. i did what i did last time, soak her in warm bath and gently try to pick at any debris that wanted to get off. I applied Anusol ointment. Her prolapse was very red in an rea, purplish red, and from then on bloody and now it’s dark red. I don’t think i can put it back in without her pushing it out though.

Badly enough, my other hen picked at her prolapse for only a few seconds when i noticed, to which now they are separated for the time being. However, ever since she got cleaned she is bleeding a lot and her prolapse is i’m presumably guessing is still out, i’m trying to get her this morning 😅 she is very hesitant to leave her cage, and probably hates me now (she hates water).

Her poop earlier wouldve have been red sometimes, probably from blood but some have been normal though. She has stopped laying eggs though from about 2-3 months ago.

Please let me know on any suggestions what else i should do. How long and can i even leave her with the prolapse for any longer? Didn’t get a proper photo this morning, but basically looks the same as yesterday night, but still protruding out, even if i put it back in.
A71A1B74-0F42-4B5B-B804-06A47638261B.jpeg
110F9325-AB23-4D84-A7BA-B5D3663E02CA.jpeg

Last edited:
Sometimes it can take a while to get a prolapse to stay in. The anusol should help with swelling, I would continue to use that. You need to keep the prolapse moist, don't let it dry out or the tissue will die. Sometimes honey will help, it will help keep it moist and can also help with swelling. Don't worry that it's messy and sticky. Keep her on clean bath towels or puppy pads to help keep it clean, rather than loose bedding. She has to stay separated until the prolapse stays in, the red will attract pecking. Hopefully the initial pecking injury was minor, if it's more severe then infection is a risk. When you put the prolapse in, cover it with the honey or ointment, gently push it back in, and then hold it for a while. She will probably strain and try to push it back out, to her it feels like she needs to lay due to the swelling. Just hold it in until she relaxes. Sometimes you may have to devise a sling to hold it in, when they poop it will often cause it to recur until the swelling is down. I have had prolapses that took days to get to stay in consistently. This thread has some pictures of example of that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/

Sometimes it can take a while to get a prolapse to stay in. The anusol should help with swelling, I would continue to use that. You need to keep the prolapse moist, don't let it dry out or the tissue will die. Sometimes honey will help, it will help keep it moist and can also help with swelling. Don't worry that it's messy and sticky. Keep her on clean bath towels or puppy pads to help keep it clean, rather than loose bedding. She has to stay separated until the prolapse stays in, the red will attract pecking. Hopefully the initial pecking injury was minor, if it's more severe then infection is a risk. When you put the prolapse in, cover it with the honey or ointment, gently push it back in, and then hold it for a while. She will probably strain and try to push it back out, to her it feels like she needs to lay due to the swelling. Just hold it in until she relaxes. Sometimes you may have to devise a sling to hold it in, when they poop it will often cause it to recur until the swelling is down. I have had prolapses that took days to get to stay in consistently. This thread has some pictures of example of that:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/successful-vent-prolapse-treatment-with-photos.1101406/
Thank you so much, i’ll try not to panic as much these next days and just went and put manuka honey on it, fingers crossed 🤞🏼

Did she recover?
She did recover from the prolapse. Unfortunately she is being put to sleep right now at the vet. She has not been well since. The prolapse is probably connected to an underlying issue within her reproductive tract and unfortunately she has gotten worse since, so i think this was best for her.

Back
Top Bottom