amount of "treats" (= not duck pellets)

jenny_exe

Chirping
Sep 11, 2022
Connecticut
Often I see greens, fruits, grains, and protein (that is, not manufactured duck food) referred to as "treats" for ducks. I want my ducks to have a balanced diet but don't want to overfeed them produce if it's detrimental to their health. I typically stick to fruits and vegetables, with the occasional addition of mealworms as a "real" treat.

What's everyone's take on this? Should duck feed account for the majority of their diet? I know, for example, pasta/rice should be fed somewhat sparingly (I haven't even attempted this yet with mine), but things like lettuce... can you overdo it on leafy greens? My ducks LOVE romaine and I typically give a head of romaine split between the 4 of them every other day. Is this something I could give every day, or maybe more than one head at a time?

Their other favorite is watermelon. I'll give them a quarter of a watermelon a couple times a week... too much? OK to give more?

Honestly, during Spring/Summer/Fall, mine forage for the majority of their food. I give them a bit in the morning and some in the evening, but nowhere near what they'll be getting in the winter. I rarely give treats, they consider their regular food as treats at this point, lol!

They do love the watermelon, though! The other day, I gave mine half a melon (I have a lot of ducks) and just watched the chaos.

I guess I spoil mine their treats are dry dog food, dried mealworms and black solider fly larva. They also get romaine lettuce and fresh tomatoes off the plants. They have to eat almost all their feed though before they get their treat. Which is 10% of their feed. So just make sure they are eating their feed before giving out the treats.

Often I see greens, fruits, grains, and protein (that is, not manufactured duck food) referred to as "treats" for ducks. I want my ducks to have a balanced diet but don't want to overfeed them produce if it's detrimental to their health. I typically stick to fruits and vegetables, with the occasional addition of mealworms as a "real" treat.

What's everyone's take on this? Should duck feed account for the majority of their diet? I know, for example, pasta/rice should be fed somewhat sparingly (I haven't even attempted this yet with mine), but things like lettuce... can you overdo it on leafy greens? My ducks LOVE romaine and I typically give a head of romaine split between the 4 of them every other day. Is this something I could give every day, or maybe more than one head at a time?

Their other favorite is watermelon. I'll give them a quarter of a watermelon a couple times a week... too much? OK to give more?
The only treat my ducks eat is watermelon. They go nuts over it. I have tried blueberries, raspberries, bananas, cantaloupe & frozen peas. They're not interested in that. Their food consists of Tractor Supply Duck Food & I add a little bit alfalfa & dry cob. They get that everyday. They do enjoy when I put a slice of alfalfa in their pen & will demolish that. Anything wrong with their diet?

Back
Top Bottom