Amputation, or cull?

Well, we now have a one-legged chicken. I came home from work so we could get it done while my husband was still home (he works evenings).

I also raise miniature dairy goats and meat goats, so I have plenty of the "little green donuts." We got one on her leg above where we planned to make the cut. My husband sharpened my cleaver, while my daughter got my cutting board covered with newspaper (mostly I was worried about any infection getting on my board from the foot, not any possible blood). We wrapped her in a towel with the foot sticking out. My 14-year-old daughter, brave soul that she is, held Crooky and watched while hubby placed the cleaver in position. One hard whack with a 2x4, and one squawk from the bird, and it was done. We started putting blood clot powder on the wound right away, but there was not a drop. We waited a little while (not sure...10 minutes?) and hubby started loosening the green donut by slicing into it a little at a time. Finally blood started oozing, so we knew it was loose enough to safely leave on until later tonight, when I get back home from work. We packed it well with the powder, put antibiotic ointment on a gauze pad, and wrapped the leg using vetwrap pulled tight. I held Crooky, still in her towel, while my husband cleaned up and my daughter got the cage ready -- clean newspaper (no loose bedding) and covered the sides so it will be very low-light. While they were doing that, I got a dish of food, which Crooky immediately started to gobble down, still in my arms!

We put her (still in the towel) sitting in the cage in front of her food dish, and left her eating happily. After 1/2 an hour we checked on her and she had gotten up, gone to the other side of the cage (2 1/2 or 3 feet), pooped, and was back at her dish standing up and eating. Well, sort of standing. We cut the foot off just below the knee joint. She was on her good foot, with the knee resting on the bottom of the cage. Still, she seemed well, and the white gauze showed no sign of blood leaking through. I think all will be well!

Thank you everyone!! We all appreciate all your advice and support so very much! Once Crooky is healed, we plan to get her accustomed to the chicken diapers we bought and making her a certified House Chicken. :)

Back
Top Bottom