An "AHAAA" moment

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by nikkers390, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikkers390

nikkers390 Chillin' With My Peeps

Tonight I was tucking the ducks, geese and chickens in for the night. I fed them, brought them treats gave them fresh water. Since it was still light, I decided to sit in their pen for a bit. It looked crowded in there though no one was complaining. They have not been allowed free ranging for a week.
    I hated to leave the since the bobcat attacks. I lost 10 chickens in 2 nights. The 2 lone survivors were in a new pen trying to fit in. I only bought them a week ago. I got 10 pullets 2 rooster. All that's left of that flock is one ugly speckled naked neck pullet with a crooked tail and a young black rooster with a rose comb, pretty mutt.
    As I was sitting, this little hen jumped on my chair and then on my shoulder. She was talking like chickens do. I wish I could understand chicken. It was at the moment when she tucked her head and neck under my chin that I finally understood why people passionately love their chickens. This was a survivor of 2 bobcat attacks which took 10 of her flock. I know nothing about her, but she trusted me enough to approach me and show affection. was surprised how much heat a naked neck radiates, her neck felt hot under my chin. My immediate response was to stroke her and assure her that it will be OK.
    I just had to share this with others who may understand.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    aww, so sweet !!! yes ! i have had the same awe moment. love,love it

3. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    That's so adorable!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member