An Egg at last!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gavinandallison, Dec 29, 2010.

1. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Well, at long last, we got our Barred Rock chicks in July, DW got home this afternoon and found our first egg...... I have started adding a light in their henhouse to givesome more light in the morning, but only started that this week!! 4 hens and 1 egg so far.......... Hope it's catching to the other 3...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    CONGRATS! Be sure to take a picture and post in the first egg thread! Oops! Just read what breed! Wonderful!! I have a 9 month old BR who is still holding out hehe [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Nothing as magical as that first egg!! Now that they are laying, you might not need the light. The young pullets seems to lay right through the winter- now next winter, you'll need the light! Enjoy!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! [​IMG]

Just a little FYI - It's been my experience (and from what I have read) that pullets coming into their first season of laying will lay when their bodies are ready, regardless of whether you add light or not.

Sounds like your girls were ready. My pullets that were hatched in early June started laying about a month ago. [​IMG]

5. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    :congratulations!!:

6. outdoorzgirl

outdoorzgirl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Lexington, NC
    Congratulations on your first egg! The excitement off finding eggs never wears off [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by