If you were to choose a hen strictly for their personality, which ones would you take home?

• Total voters
Unfortunately that does happen here. Folks will relate their stories and their experiences. Some will report what they've read here or somewhere else. There are a number of different techniques being used here, doesn't mean one is better than another, just that folks do what works for them.

I imagine guineas can be trained like any other bird to return to their shelter at night. Put them in their shelter and leave them in for a week or two so they know that is their home/safe place. When you first let them out, you may have to lead them back. Most of use treats or feed to teach them to come to us or follow us. Start that training while they are adjusting to their new shelter.

I don't have them because I'm not overly thrilled with their song. But I do have chickens, ducks and turkeys that live together on the same pasture without issue.

@HuffleClaw Do your guineas and chickens peacefully co-exist? Do they go into a shelter at night?

I believe the guineas have been thoroughly removed as an option from the many responses I have received- I just need to commit. So, I guess I just have to choose which chickens would be the most voracious foragers, the more docile/affectionate personalities, and who might have a few colorful eggs and unique looks (that's all just gravy of course). They will have a huge coop and free-range area, but I have to be sure they will always come back if there is any danger of a predator. Now, that's not too much to ask, is it? :gig

They do co-exist peacefully while free ranging! But no, after a few weeks of getting out, the guineas refuse to go up at night so they have their own little tree to roost in
That's what I was afraid of. We do have owls and raccoons, in addition to coyotes, weasels, bears, bobcats, well- if you can name it, we probably have it. I am here almost all of the time and I would never leave birds out without an ability for them to get back into a protected area quickly, but the guineas don't seem to believe that is a good option. One of our Amish neighbors said her guineas would do fairly well (once she got so used to hearing them that it didn't register any more) but were determined to roost in the trees at night. She saw an owl pick one off a tree branch right in front of her one night- sad.

Okay, I’ve decided on Egyptian Fayoumi, Cream Legbar, Splash Ameraucana, Splash Favaucana, Partridge Olive Egger, Barred Plymouth Rock and Black Copper Marans. If anyone knows of any reason these guys wouldn’t work together, please let me know. I think this is a decent group of foragers who have a nice mix of docile and more independent and who are predator-savvy. I was also told that any rooster who snuck into the mix wouldn’t be a problem, no matter what type of hens I have- I’m assuming that’s true? lol

Okay, I’ve decided on Egyptian Fayoumi, Cream Legbar, Splash Ameraucana, Splash Favaucana, Partridge Olive Egger, Barred Plymouth Rock and Black Copper Marans. If anyone knows of any reason these guys wouldn’t work together, please let me know. I think this is a decent group of foragers who have a nice mix of docile and more independent and who are predator-savvy. I was also told that any rooster who snuck into the mix wouldn’t be a problem, no matter what type of hens I have- I’m assuming that’s true? lol
The Egyptian Fayoumi might have a tough time with PA winters. They are not cold hardy. Everyone else should do well.

Back
Top Bottom