An Oddball

Squirrels and racoons also a possibility. Even crows! no offence @TwoCrows Hi and welcome to BYC! :frow
Thank you all for the welcome. No offense taken on the crows. We have lots of pigeons here as any big city does. My sons call them "flying rats."

I reached out to someone I know from Wildlife Rescue and asked her about what to do. She told me several different things:
  1. aurasian ringneck dove (ERDs) are very poor nest builders. She has one at her house was built with two sticks.
  2. It is not unusual for them to sit on empty nests.
  3. They carry avian influenza, so I must remove the remains of the nest asap, wash down the cage with bleach and let it dry, wipe it down again with water and let it dry, then cover the cage whenever Max is not in it. This means replacing rope perch and any toys that cannot be cleaned.
All this because I didn't want to disturb a nesting pair. Emmy, my source here, says that Arizona's wildlife laws are very strict. All wildlife are protected during breeding season--even the pigeons. There is a cave in a state park near Tuscon that is closed to tours during breeding season for the bats.

I appreciate the help and answers all of you have offered. If you don't mind, I will watch this site to learn more about chickens--just for fun since I doubt my landlord, the HOA, or the city of Phoenix would allow me to keep them.

Back
Top Bottom