An old Farmer told me this about why I got so many roos this year.....

David you should be respecting your elders.
hide.gif

lau.gif

Last year I got exact 50-50, 2 girlies, 2 roos. Not sure what I'll get this year. My broodies should have their eggs hatch by Thursday. But I find this to be an interesting concept. There are lots of interesting patterns in nature. I'm not sure if I believe this one, but I still find it interesting.

And Davaroo, watch out. My grandma will come get you. You should be very afraid.

Last edited:
i doubt that every population is on the same 7 year cycle, which explains the lack of rabbits in some of your yards this year. perhaps your rabbit population is only on year 6 whereas mine is on year 7... when is the year of the rabbit?

There's an even MORE convincing one that can be proved....according to speculation, due to some sort of mechanism inside the hens sex is determined in the hens' ovaries. Apparently the eggs that are more round are hens, and the pointy eggs are roosters. We'll see in about 6 weeks when all of mine have hatched and grown feathers!!! LOL!!!

P.S. This is NOT my theory, I'm just repeated it....nobody start crackin' on me!!!!

Quote:
So it's a geograpical thing. OK, if I am sizing this up correctly.....West Coast and North are not on the same cycle as the South and Davaroo.
smile.png
Not that I don't want to hear from you (esp. if you can prove Davaroo wrong
smile.png
Now the challenge has been cast......

What about it fellow southerners? Is it true?

ETA: By the way I interpret south quite liberally, so you could live in Montana and be a southerner at heart!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Well.......we had this house built almost 4 years ago. I have NEVER seen a rabbit in my yard. Until this Summer. I have had several. I have also seen quite a few when out rock/snake/etc hunting with the kids, which seemed unusual to me. I just posted on craigslist to get rid of a ton of roos. Some I hatched, some were bought as sexed pullets, some straight run. I am getting a new Great Dane puppy on July 4th. All she had available was males. Don't know what she started with though.

I dunnoooooooooo..........
idunno.gif

heard about the pointy egg theory.. neer tested it..

I hatched out 42 eggs in one batch and have at least 38 roosters..

itis ok though, these are going to be my meat chickens come fall..

I heard about the 7 year cycle with rabbits 60 years ago.. never paid much attention to that either..

there is an ounce of truth to every old timers tale..

Back
Top Bottom