An old Farmer told me this about why I got so many roos this year.....

I agree that if it is true, certainly different areas would be on different cycles.
thumbsup.gif

There are those on this site who might tend to call me an oldtimer and I can tell you for a fact that half the time I can't remember what I've learned and the other half I don't know what I'm talking about.

Well, I just counted my roos today - 12!

12 freakin roos! And only 8 pullets of that st run bunch. They are cuckoo marans though, I hear they have an unusally high roo to pullet ratio.

Any truth in that?

And anyone want some roos in Colorado...
wink.png

Well the rabbits are running here this year. Every time ya go out in the truck some little bunny nearly commits suicide. But with my hatches I have been getting mostly hens. We purchased some st run RIR and they seem to be about 60-40 hens. I take it with a grain of salt and just say yes sir. Goes right along with the ole timer who says she keeps her incubater temp lower to get more hens. Hey what ever floats your boat..lol

Quote:
My hatch of cuckoo marans came with 3 pullets and 2 roos.
I think....those are girls....

I have seen more rabbits this year, but in my first hatch this spring, I got 4 roos and 6 pullets.

That may be true, or it may be just a coincidence. This year I've let my broody hens hatch out chicks each time they want to set, and there are less pullets in the For Sale pen than cockerels in the For Dinner pen. And there seems to be more than the usual number of rabbits in my yard, both cottontails and swamp rabbits. But that could be due to my neglected veg garden that I never fully harvested.

I don't think there could me more than a single grain of truth in the pointy/roo round/hen egg theory. It sure would be handy if it were true, all those hatcheries could fire their high-salaried vent sexers and replace them with anyone who could tell the difference in egg shapes.

Quote:
Probably because the "old-timers" have been around far longer and have much more wisdom than most people these days. There are many things my 80-year-old mother has said that have been true, so why doubt the word of someone who's "been there and done that?"

I've also been seeing more rabbits this year - never saw them much around here before...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom