An old Farmer told me this about why I got so many roos this year.....

I only read the first post so here goes. What year was the first year that started the cycle? Also ask if he can tell you what year to mark as the first year of the cycle so we can keep track and know this is the year of the "roos" and skip it.
He may be right he may be wrong but scientifically there has to be a reason.
As for me I'll order chicks early so they don't run out of str chicks and finish filling my order with left over roos. Though I only order pullets. I'd rather pay extra and not have to deal with roos, especially egg layer breeds.

As to the topic... LOL I like folklore and fairy tales, myths, legends, and the stuff old farmers say. Some of it works, some of it is fertilizer, but I respect old people and I'm not going to mock one to his face.

If you've held a belief for the duration of your life, in all likelihood for you it IS TRUE. Because it cannot be otherwise. Belief becomes faith, becomes personal truth. Doesn't mean it translates. Or that it is factual. Just that it is believed. By few or by many, for them it is truth. That's okay as far as it goes.

Last year was my year of the Roo. Darn there were boys everywhere I looked. This year, not so bad, though more rabbits. And TONS more predators. I'm not going three weeks without having to trap and remove something. And this is my fifth year here and the worst so far.

Last year I didn't have to trap at all. Go figure.

I think it has to do with the age of the animal in question. In bumper crop years ALL numbers of everything goes up. MAYBE nature's way to assure that a given species does not wipe out there food sources, a genetic button gets flipped and a certain age of a given animal they put out a higher number of males. And this can occur in plants as well.
walkswithdogs, what is a normal number of dogs?

I think I am ABBYnormal with dogs. 7 adults, 7 puppies. BUT, willing to lower the number of pups.
I see you like GSD's, here is Frisbie
Working bloodline GSD from 2006 NE Schutzhund Champ. " GUNNAR "
316348404.jpg

Auggzilla, 85 lbs at 8 mo's
366642551.jpg

We have tons of wild rabbits they like eating with my chickens I come outside and they'll be at the dish chomping away but if my big rooster see's the rabbits near any of his girls he'll chase it away its pretty funny to watch.

Quote:
You may find that logic & reason aren't always accepted well here.
the various samples reported here are too small to be meanigful. Eggs hatched in sufficient numbers are likely to yield a roughly 50/50 split. A hatch of 16 yielding 14 cockerels is statisticly meaningless. Hatch 16 more & the result may well be the oposite.

Back
Top Bottom