An Omnivore's Dilemma thread (the book by Michael Pollan)

Quote:
Move.
smile.png

Seriously, though, I'm no expert on self-sufficiency, even though it is a goal of mine. I don't believe many of us can truly be entirely self-sufficient or have the fortitude to do so. You do the best with what you have.

But living in some areas is just less amenable to it than others. I think it would be very difficult to be self-sufficient in an area with little rainfall, since water is a crucial ingredient, but you can do what you can.

Beyond that, it would be best we start another thread. The Omnivore's Dilemma is one of the reasons I'm becoming self-sufficient, but I think it's a bit of a stretch including this discussion in this thread.
wink.png

Besides, I would hate to see a thread on this very important book side-tracked.

ETA:
warmfuzzies, you might want to take a look at the following forum on self-sufficiency. You might see some familiar names...

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/

Last edited:
I heard an interview with Michael Pollan where he said that he was grocery shopping, and as he was recognized by a fan while he was reaching for his daughter's favorite cereal....which happened to be Fruity Pebbles, of all things. AWKWARD!!!

tongue.png

Quote:
Yeah, he is now seen as something of a High Priest of Food now days and people worship at his feet, so he has to be really careful. Sort of like when I was a Children's Librarian, I had to look around to make sure none of my little fans were watching before I grabbed that six pack of Bud.

I saw a video of him giving a presentation at Google, and all these yuppies looked like they were about to swoon.

ETA...
But it was a great talk, and fun to watch. He was giving a talk on his newest book In Defense of Food. Here it is...

Last edited:
Quote:
Move.
smile.png

Seriously, though, I'm no expert on self-sufficiency, even though it is a goal of mine. I don't believe many of us can truly be entirely self-sufficient or have the fortitude to do so. You do the best with what you have.

But living in some areas is just less amenable to it than others. I think it would be very difficult to be self-sufficient in an area with little rainfall, since water is a crucial ingredient, but you can do what you can.

Beyond that, it would be best we start another thread. The Omnivore's Dilemma is one of the reasons I'm becoming self-sufficient, but I think it's a bit of a stretch including this discussion in this thread.
wink.png

Besides, I would hate to see a thread on this very important book side-tracked.

ETA:
warmfuzzies, you might want to take a look at the following forum on self-sufficiency. You might see some familiar names...

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/

Thanks. Just wanted to see your thoughts real quick. We are actually thinking about moving.

About the book, is it similar to Animal, Vegitable, Miracle, or more informational and less story? I am hoping to get it in at the Library.

More information, less story. Not so much how to as it is a how not to...but he lets you make your own decisions.

I listened to it on CD a year ago. I had already had chickens, so it didn't influence me either way. I had already been buying the vast majority of my food locally and supporting farmers whose farming practices I like.

I had already read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" "Coming Home to Eat" "This Organic Life" "You Can Farm" "Plenty" and several other books in the same vein. I have to say OD was my least favorite book of all. Not only was it dense, it was repeitive and boring. He rambles on for 4 cds about how he 'might' feel about shooting a wild pig. Just get on with it already! I think the book could have been 1/4 the length and would be much improved by it. The information in it is good, but it is also in other books and is written much more succinctly.

I haven't recommended it to anyone because I think it might scare them off from reading more in that subject area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom