Anatomy of a Chicken's Behind

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
Okay, i have some questions for the seasoned professionals. This hatch (my second attempt, first one produced nothing) threw me for a loop.

i had one huge silkie born with what looked like intestines pulled out. Ran it to the vet, they said there was nothing they could do, so had it put to sleep.

Subsequently, two more little ones were born with something trailing from their bottoms that looked like intestines pulled out. i snipped it to prevent further pull out. Honestly thought they were both goners, but they both fluffed up and filled out and seem to be doing fine.

Was going to take them to the vet today to see if i had snipped and closed off their anus. But when i checked all the chicks, i got a good look at where the vent is, right under the tail, as it sort of pulsates when they breath. Then below that is the spot where i had snipped two chicks, and they, and others, had little hard spots there, like something healing. Is that the umbilical cord spot?

That is different from where they absorb the yolk sack, because one little guy was born with a yolk sac that fell out, and then i saw his abdomen leaking some yolk material. But that sealed up and he's eating and doing fine now.

Does anyone have any idea of what that spot is below the vent? i'm so confused. Luckily, i have six healthy baby chicks. Group picture below. Sorry it's blurry - it's hard to keep them still.

grouppic.jpg

What was hanging out was definatly the yolk sack. If you snipped their intestines they would have died quickly. The first chick probably also had the yolk sack hanging out as well. Vets are very inexperienced with that sort of thing.

That spot is where their yolk sac is adsorbed and so is basically their umbilical cord. Since it is their yolk sac, intestines can also come out of the hole there if it has not healed. I belive the green junk in the shell that you snipped off with some stringy material is what was part of the chorion? Generally, if the naval is less than the size of a dime, they will automatically "suck" it in and be fine. Don't worry too much, jut know that next time you incubate, you should adjust your temps because I think, I forget for sure, unhealed navels are due to low incubation temperatures. A huge silkie may be like a "mushy chick" which is an indication of too high intubation humidly. There's a chart somewhere that describes these common incubation problems.

Thanks everyone for the advice and the link. The problem with this incubation were the fluctuating temperatures. i had a heck of a time keeping them level. i was using a Little Giant still air, and no matter how careful i was the temps would go down to 98 or so at night, then skyrocket to 103 during the day. i was in that room almost nonstop eyeballing the thermometer. i bought a HovaBator with thermostat, fan, and egg turner for my final batch of eggs, so hopefully will not have this same problem.

i feel so terrible for that chick the vet put down. He had the sweetest little face. i will always remember those eyes. Just got to make sure i do better next time.

Back
Top Bottom