Ancona Chicken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nava, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:Yellow House, thank you, I see that now. I do have 3 adult hens from Sandhill, and 2 pullet chicks. It can't hurt to play around and learn some things, and see if I love the breed enough to get serious. I agree the roo on the right is better looking than the one on the left, I only considered lefty because he has more black plumage. He is also so flighty he twitches. [​IMG]
    Here is another pic of 'Righty', in profile.
    [​IMG]

2. RobbysRoost

RobbysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2009
    Auburn, AL
    I was thinking about getting some Anconas; anything I should know?

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Quote:We love our little AC she's a great addition to our flock. Not too flighty and not too friendly.

4. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    THe one to the left also seems to have a face full of white. Is that just the photo or is it the case, in which instance it would definitely be a no go.

5. Amyable

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Quote:I looked again and he does have a much whiter face than the others. I will go with the one on the right for now. Thanks for the input.

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    My ancona is not the flightiest bird I've had, but very close. I have a very hard time getting her into the coop if she's the last one; she's fast, smart and detests being held or touched. Most of my birds from Meyer this year turned out pretty flighty though, so I'd go to a breeder if you're able.

Fortunately if this is too much for my mom she'll have a great home at my uncle's farm in NC.

Quote:We love our little AC she's a great addition to our flock. Not too flighty and not too friendly.

7. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok

My Ancona is one of my friendliest girls. She will hop up on my chair or lap and lives scratches. She is very verbal. If she finds a treat the whole yard knows. It's like she is saying nananana. She also has the loudest egg song.

8. SlowMoneyFarm

SlowMoneyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Nauvoo
    Is there anyone going to Crossroads who will have an Ancona cockerel for sale? I have a couple hens but the cockerel died, so wanting to get a decent one to step in if possible.

9. Amyable

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Decided to go a different route with these roos. To the freezer with all these guys from an unknown hatchery. Why hold a poor roo over winter? I have 5 young cockerals of Sandhill heritage, whose daddy looked much better than the 3 adults here now. These adult roos are practically wild, I can't get anywhere near them. Spookier than Leghorns, ugg. I'll see how the little boys look come spring.

10. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    Quote:As they're growing, I sit with my Anconas for just a few minutes everyday after throwing scratch so that they are accustomed to human presence. It seems to do the trick, although they're always Anconas, what Don Schrider would call "real chickens".

PS: Probably a good call with those three cockerels.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by