Ancona Chicken Thread

Pics
Also a question: how soon before you kill the supplemental heat? At what age do you put them outside? Ok that was two questions. The thing is my brooder is down to 73 and the chicks on the far side away from the heat source!

They're notably bigger than they were Monday.
If they are staying away from the heat lamp it is because they are uncomfortable closer to it. Turn it off. If they are cold they will huddle together. But, if I recall, they only need heat the first 2 weeks and yours are almost 4. The general rule is they can go out when they are fully feathered. Mine went out at 4 weeks because they wouldn't stay in the bathtub any more and we didn't need chick poop on the floor. We didn't use the tub in that bathroom but we DID use the toilet and sink. I put a large box in the coop on its side with the open top facing the corner with the heat lamp pointing into it for a couple of nights in case they wanted the heat. Now mind you it is colder outside in N.H. now than it was mid July 2 years ago. Plus, your brooder might be better able to keep the chicks inside
wink.png

Bruce

Here a picture from a breeder in the Netherlands:

From left to right:
Ancona standard with some French blood in him
Ancona standard with some Australian blood
Ancona bantam (I suppose dutch)

Why would you start a new topic?

This is a male chick:

This is a female chick:

And this is the very yellow chick, with no black dot but he appears to be a male, so he does not have the sexed linked gene, he also had no brown down.

This is the father of these 3 chicks:

I read an article about the porcelain colors and perhaps the ancona´s have a different mottled then other breeds.
Maybe they are some sort of black porcelain in stead of black mottled.

The mottleds in other breeds like cochin bantams, houdans... are perhaps more of a pied variety then a porcelain variety.

I also have 4 chicks that came from a red porcelain (or do you call it millefleur?) wyandotte bantam crossed with a F1 Ancona bantam (so Ancona standard x Ancona bantam).
I´ll try to make some better pics, but they are not very tame so it could take some days. :p

I read an article about the porcelain colors and perhaps the ancona´s have a different mottled then other breeds.
Maybe they are some sort of black porcelain in stead of black mottled.

The mottleds in other breeds like cochin bantams, houdans... are perhaps more of a pied variety then a porcelain variety. 

I also have 4 chicks that came from a red porcelain (or do you call it millefleur?) wyandotte bantam crossed with a F1 Ancona bantam (so Ancona standard x Ancona bantam).
I´ll try to make some better pics, but they are not very tame so it could take some days. :p
porcelain is lavender mille fluer, it is a color, not a pattern.

These are the crosses of the red millefleur wyandotte bantam rooster with the Ancona standard x Ancona bantam hen.
As you can see, the typical pattern is a base color of black with a green shine, a dull black part and a white mottle (you can see this on the shoulder of the biggest hen, biggest photo too).
Or with the red millefleur: red base color, dull black part and a white mottle.

I was planning on using these for my red Ancona project, but I have 13 red Italiëner bantams (german leghorn bantams). So with those I will have them in about 2 or 3 years.

Hello! This is my daughter's chick. I believe her to be an Ancona pullet. She is about 7 weeks old. Am I correct in my thinking?
Looks indeed like an Ancona. She has magnificent legs, perfect color, really wow!!! Best I have seen in my life.
ship her to Belgium :)

Back
Top Bottom