Ancona Chicken Thread

Pics
this breed reminds me of my speckeled Sussex just in black though...are they the same in temp.think of getting in spring have bjgs not happy with them..

I really like my Anconas. Great layers, large white eggs, good foragers but a little flighty and easily startled. Not much fat on these birds so they don't make great eating. I sell eggs and buyer like the white, large eggs so they more than feed themselves.

do you know where to buy quality chicks from in spring I live in middleburgh ny
I bought mine from Joseph at Yellowhouse…They are healthy / quality rosecombs and i love them….I had mine sent since i live in Washington state. At the time he sent well grown chicks... If your too far to connect with Joseph at Yellowhouse other options could be checking with any breed show club that may be in your state to see if there are Ancona breeders, check to see if there are any shows coming up……Check with local feed stores to see if they can add some to their chick order in the spring from the hatcheries. Look up on BYC to see if there is a New York State thread and ask there as well (apologize i do not know where your town is, but if near other states i would look there also)……Regular comb is most available, rosecomb is rare but is better for those colder areas. I allow mine to free range more than my other birds. They are really smart,….I have not eaten them yet but when picked up mine have substantial weight and lay the most eggs for me.

Last edited:
Congratulations to Yellow House Farm on winning Reserve Champion Mediterranean at the Ohio National!

(Countrydream, I guess this answers your question?
wink.png
)

Yes, I have noticed that. I got my pure Ancona from a friend and she was almost all black at a few months old. She is now four and as white with black as my silver spangled Hamburgs. I would call it a splash color pattern. I have a flock of Hamburgs crossed over the last 30+ years with one Egyptian fayoumi and one barred rock. The Ancona (Annie) became broody last summer and I wanted some new Hamburg crosses, so set her on Hamburg eggs and got three lovely Hamburg cross pullets (father purebred Hamburg; mothers about 75% Hamburg) that are almost ready to begin laying. One pullet is all black with a few light gold hackle feathers - a real throwback to her barred rock ancestor I presume. I'm interested in seeing how she matures color-wise in a couple of years, and also if Annie continues to lighten with each molt.

Last edited:
When do your Anconas usually begin laying? Mine are 22 weeks old and nothing yet (the woman I got them from said "as early 16 weeks"). Their combs are nice and red now and I've figured it's probably "any day now". Nothing yet. :/

Meanwhile, my Ancona rooster (also 22 weeks old) is already a daddy. The first chicks he fathered hatched today!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom