Ancona Ducks

Pics
Yes, that is correct.

My DH figured out the percent chance a particular colored duckling is male or female based on our flock make up. Even with not knowing exactly who the parents are, our chocolate ducklings have a 92% chance of being female and blacks are 78% likely to be male. It is very helpful to be married to a math and science nerd sometimes! ;)

I always hated Probability and Statistics. :)

Just want to share some pics while they are fresh. I am loving this breed.

I have also been getting a mess of Ancona crosses this year thanks to my flying breed broodies. Anybody care to venture a guess on this ones mama? It wandered into the garden the other day, but we can't figure out who hatched it! Moms could be Mallard, Scovie or Welsh Harlequin, but none of them actually hatched it as they are all accounted for. I must have a chicken hiding someplace....

I have also been getting a mess of Ancona crosses this year thanks to my flying breed broodies. Anybody care to venture a guess on this ones mama? It wandered into the garden the other day, but we can't figure out who hatched it! Moms could be Mallard, Scovie or Welsh Harlequin, but none of them actually hatched it as they are all accounted for. I must have a chicken hiding someplace....

I'm going to go with Scovy on this one. I have been hatching Scovies out since January of this year, and even when crossed with Welsh Harlequins, they seem to come out looking a lot like this one. I haven't had any Ancona/Scovies yet, though since my Anconas all just hatched this spring. My second guess would be Mallard, mostly due to the line under the eye. But I'm no expert.
duc.gif

I am thinking scovy too. Some hatched a few weeks back that I know were from mallard eggs, and they are all bibbed like Swedish ducks with stripey feet. 4 blacks and a chocolate. I wish I could find who hatched that baby out!

If anyone in midcoast Maine is looking for some Anconas this year, I'm way over-supplied on ducklings, after three enterprizing hens set up a guerrilla maternity ward in the raspberries. Skitterbugs everywhere.

Awwww...what a little beauty. I would love to get a few Ancona's, but I'm still waiting to see how many girls versus boys we have first. CUTE!!

Back
Top Bottom