Ancona Ducks

Pics
Quote: Magpie type would be the symmetrical markings I mentioned above covering over 50% of the bird. Runner type would be sparse, asymmetrical markings (very little color on a white base). The ideal for anconas is in between the 2 extremes. You want lost of "spots" in random places, like a dalmation. The goal is asymetrical markings spaced over as much of the bird as possible, including legs, feet, head, belly, chest & bill. Not just on wings & back. Think of Anconas as the "dalmation" duck.

Technically the runner markings are found on tricolors. Think of a fawn and white runner. Color on the head, white eye marking, white around the collar, color on the back and wings including the chest. That's how you ID tris. They lack the extended black gene, revealing all the underlying colors and patterns.

I need some help identifying colors, so I hope that Aurora Springs and Toad Briar are listening!

This is a group from my last hatch of the year. I am particularly curious about the little lady in the middle. I think she qualifies as a tricolor, but I am unsure exactly what kind of tricolor. She was so different from what I usually hatch that I had to keep her and see how she grew out! She looked lavender at hatch - a true purple color, actually. You can see that she has lighten up from that and has some dark feathers bleeding through. I've also noticed that she appears to have a bit of a buff undertone now.

I also would like confirmation on the duck on the left. I'm guessing she is a lilac. What do you all think?

Last edited:
left to right.........

undermarked chocolate (spot on the back pale milk chocolate)
Over marked blue (front center) solid body, solid head, white neck
undermarked color unknown or stanbridge white
Black & White rear right side
I really don't think the one on the left is chocolate. Maybe it is hard to see in this photo, but she looks more like the lilac duck on the bottom right of the lilac section on AuroraSpring's color page. http://worthitfarms.jigsy.com/ancona-colors

I also don't think the center duck is blue. She doesn't have the steely color of the blues I have hatched.

Perhaps this means that I chose a poor photo to show y'all.

Last edited:
Hello everyone I need some help with my anconas!

Are these boys or girls they are 16 weeks and only the one has a curly tail so I no that on is a boy but the other two don't really quack its more raspy but they don't have the curly tail so idk wt they are anyone have an idea wt they might be?

Hello everyone I need some help with my anconas!

Are these boys or girls they are 16 weeks and only the one has a curly tail so I no that on is a boy but the other two don't really quack its more raspy but they don't have the curly tail so idk wt they are anyone have an idea wt they might be?
. Girls quack and the boys rasp. Sure sign of gender. :)

Back
Top Bottom