Ancona or Muscovy Ducks?

24974_march_ducks_09_002.jpg

My fingers are crossed that this is it!~Diane

This is so funny...for almost 9 months I thought I had 1 male and 1 female Muscovy duck. We were so looking forward to ducklings in the spring.

If something happened to one of the ducks, the other would be devastated. I don't want to take the chance of having just one.

So now that we won't be having ducklings, is it wise to get a few more when the auction opens in the spring? Will they all get along?

Sydney and Sweet Pea are very territorial and have been chasing the mallards off the pond this past week. Last year when they were young, they got along with everyone. Would they accept some more of their own kind?

Thanks ducklove334, we think they are beautiful too...but we're biased.

You've been a great help everyone. Your thoughts are appreciated~Diane

the boys would fight other boys,especially since it is spring, I'm surprised they havn't jumped for joy if there have been female mallards.

I bet they'd love a few girlfriends

Most of the 'scovy crosses still carry the pink bill even tho' they lose the caruncles. And while I've only raised a half dozen or so none had the curly tail. Good luck finding your girls. I have some but I don't think that you're in driving distance.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Shadyglade....My ducks have olive green bills with a dollop of black right on the upper tip...like the magpies.

I checked out the magpie websites and sure enough, Sweet Pea..the larger duck with the most black sure looks like one. There were some that looked liked Sydney too.

I'm not sure what to do now. If I get 3-4 girls, I don't know what I'd do with all those eggs/ducklings. Decisions, decisions.

I am within driving distance of northwestern PA, so you may hear from me when the weather gets nicer. Thanks~D.

My Himself has to go to Pittsburgh sometimes if that helps you any? It would be during the week tho'. And don't worry about what to do with the eggs-if you ever bake you'll love duck eggs for baking! Then there's what they do for meringue
droolin.gif
Ducks are also really good at playing hide and seek with where they lay so if they're not confined you get to play a game and exercise.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom