And another question about Winter Care...

Really, let them have an opening and let them make the decision. They know more about being a chicken than either of us do. Trapped chickens can turn into a disaster, however, cold weather can make a flock come together.

Your set up is still small, but will be prone to moisture build up if there is not enough ventilation. You do want air movement through the coop, even if it is cold air. You just need shelter from the wind. It will be cold inside the coop, if it is cold and dry, that is just fine.

If it is cold and damp, that will be a problem. You really cannot trap warmth in a barn or coop set up, what you trap is moisture. Make sure the birds are roosting away from the walls and the ceiling. They need space above their heads. The first year, I lowered my roosts in the fall, I was amazed at what a difference it made.

Mrs K

I did some more updating. I added 3 fixed windows(plexiglass) so that they can get some sun in there. I figure in the summer I can remove that as needed. I'm looking for use in all seasons here...

image.jpg

Shame on you for cursing like that! You used the "S" word ... and it's only September! I am SO not ready for the white stuff. I want my flip-flops back!

I have not given up my summer clothes as of yet...I hold out as long as possible--lol

My one shed has a east facing doorway that never closes. Usually the prevailing winds come out of the north west. Chickens go out if they wish or stay inside, their choice.

My bantam coop door unfortunately faces north. On really cold days my bantams don't come outside anyways so I don't open it. We usually build a tunnel out of hay bales to block the wind and snow for more reasonable days. This year we are going to try to put up some plastic on the run to block it all. We will see how it works.

Oh you gave me a good idea with the hay bales. We have blizzard conditions (about a foot of snow with high winds and -10 to -20 below wind chills) coming this weekend and I have to leave the small chicken door open for ventilation purposes along with the other ventilation provided. Their run is covered as well as the walls covered in clear heavy-duty plastic with a foot left open at the top all the way around. I was looking for a way to try to prevent wind from entering the little coop door without blocking the ventilation. The hay bales is a great idea. THANKS!

Shame on you for cursing like that! You used the "S" word ... and it's only September! I am SO not ready for the white stuff. I want my flip-flops back!
Okay - update time. It's now officially winter. We have snow on the ground and more coming in two days. I know I should be happy that it waited this long to appear. Well, except for a little flare-up in November, which disappeared overnight, so I was able to keep out my sandals (in protest, not comfort!) I have finally put away the summer shoes, but I'm still in denial. As I sit here typing, I am wearing a summer tank ... under my wooly shawl. DD is laughing at me. I don't care!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom