And I repeat....I'm not a builder! It is finished!

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
But I thought I needed to build a swanky new tractor for my beautiful white Araucanas so off I went.
I didn't bang my thumb as much this time and I had several drills with different attachments so it has gone faster but still, I haven't squared anything.
DH just laughs at me as he is building his "so perfect!"
I still have a few things to finish on this one but I thought I would go ahead with the pix to let you see where I have gotten in a short time. And I must say, though I haven't done a much better job on this one, I did learn a lot from the last big red contraption I built.
Hey, like the colors?

9332_yellow_tractor_frame.jpg

I attached what I thought would be the frame. Oh, it looks easy enough on paper but I knew not to be fooled by that!

9332_tractor_012.jpg

I started putting it all together. The chickens learned a few new choice words. It just can't be easy, can it?
9332_tractor_003.jpg

Ran out of yellow paint and had to use the stuff left over from the house shutters. Hey, I think it looks okay together. I really did not want to drive back into town for more yellow paint!

9332_tractor_004.jpg

I thought I did pretty good by using the scrap pieces as wedge placements. It made it a bit more sturdy.

9332_tractor_006.jpg

I put the roost in the middle. That way I could put the food near the door and the nest box at the back.
Really, now do you see a pattern where I don't build things well. Even with plans!

9332_tractor_005.jpg

I wanted a half door so I could open it and not have to reach in too far. I am short and didn't want a door on the end where I may have to crawl halfway through this thing.

9332_yellow_tractor_001.jpg

It is approximately 10 ft long and 4 ft wide. I wanted to use skids but mine didn't turn out very well. Though when it was only a fame I was able to push it around very easily!
I plan to put hardware cloth on it and the PVC corrugated roofing across the coop top and most of the run top. Two sheets look like it will do it.

9332_yellow_tractor_005.jpg

I need to put a door on the side. I always forget that! And doors are really difficult for me.
Except this back door. It turned out well, I thought!

9332_yellow_tractor_003.jpg

9332_yellow_tractor_007.jpg

9332_yellow_tractor_004.jpg

I was even able to put that vent in there! Okay, DH had to help with that just a tinny bit!
But look what I have done so far! It is so much fun!

9332_yellow_tractor_006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!
I really am not very good at building. I get ideas, they seem really good in my head and I can put them on paper okay but then when i start building nothing turns out like I actually planned.
Well, like this air flow vent I decided to allow at the top. It will be inside the wire run part and the PVC corrugated roofing will be over it so I figured it was okay to leave a big gap like that for some air circulation. The winters don't get very cold so I am not worried about heat loss overly much.
9332_yellow_tractor_008.jpg

More photos to come!

I use a vent I bought at Lowe's for about $7. It has a little thumb tab to push it open on the inside but the outside the vents are sloped down so the rain will shed off.
Wasn't hard to install (with a bit of help from hubby) and 4 screws hold it in place. We did drill 2 extra holes because it only had two.
I really like it! There were many to chose from but this one seemed better for what I had in mind.
jumpy.gif

You're doing an excellent job. I don't have the guts to even try something like that by myself.
roll.png
I do hope you plan to cover the vent gap you left with hardware cloth or something to keep the little critters out. Metal window screen works well, too.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom