. . . AND SO, THE SEARCH BEGINS!!!!!

My suggestion is all the way across the country from you. I say Notheastern Washington. We get real hot weather in the summer (up to 120), we have lovely apple trees, Spokane is the lilac city, there are lots of hills mountains, and valleys. We have lots of fun in the area with a 10 day county fair, skiing in the winter, apple fests and pumpkin patches in the fall. There are tons of other fruit festivals in the area. We are right inbetween big shows on the coast and in Montana. There are more and more chicken people in the area all the time. Our area is a nice area to raise a family. Spokane has tons of shopping, and they are hosting the pro ice skating. Spokane also has bloomsday which is the largest foot race in America. It is 7.4 miles long and had close to 50 thousand people running this year. I think you should move here so we will ave lots of people and so we can have a big chicken stock.

*Edited to add
We have the nations highest minimum wage and low taxes

Last edited:
Why leave Florida? There's hills here in crestview! My flock is over 300 strong this year. Tyson's and Holly Farms used to have big chicken factories around here 5 yrs ago so people in these parts are real chicken friendly. And if'n you get homesick for hurricanes...yeah we got those too!

The coldest it got here in Southside Virginia was about 28* this past winter. And it could have been warmer than that, but one thing is for sure we don't see much snow.
sad.png

d.k.,

I have been all over the USA. There are many lovely places that are chicken friendly and very beautiful. My favorite places are where they have 4 distinct seasons, beautiful cities yet vast farm lands, mountains and beaches--all within a day's drive. Let me see....

PA
VA
MD
NC

I myself, settled on Maryland. North Carolina was a close second! Let us know what you decide.

There are towns in NC that are getting so overrun with transplants and subdivisions that people have limits on the amount of pets they're allowed to have, if you have more than 2-3 pets you have to register as a kennel or animal shelter. Stupid yes, sad yes but unfortunately it's true.

Find someplace that not so overpopulated like NC is. I hate to say it because I've always loved my state but all the people moving here are making NC an overpopulated, overdeveloped concrete jungle.

Maybe the foothills of NC are still rural. I'm sure they have development limits in the mountains, last I heard, or that may be for large buildings.

If I could move anywhere, it would be West Virginia. I like Tennessee too.

I love western Pa. It's pretty rural in most places, but it's cold in the winters.

I like the fact that very little has been sub-divided and there's few, if any big housing plans around. You get them down toward Pittsburgh, but not up around here.

Property prices are decent around here, but the millage is a bit higher than I think it should be, but still not bad.

But, like I said, it's not for the winter faint of heart. We had some brutal cold this past winter. Single digit temps and windchills up to -20 or more.

Good luck with your hunt.
smile.png
Pennsylvania is where I'll be buried. I love it here.
Em

I agree NC is getting way to crowded, but I havent heard the animal shelter deal yet and I lived in youngsville and franklinton about 11 or 12 years ago. I still have family in Franklinton. We dont have it here in Johnston County
wink.png
No offense to BYCers of course(b/c they have to be different) but it would be nice to have some people coming from the south instead of the North, the people we've gotten from the North have been the hardest to get along with. *Not every single one* but enough to say it matters.

LOL - we moved from SUNNY SO Cal.... to the BITTER cold of Nebraska - we LOVE IT

the winter was hard, but its SO much more fun than the city!

One of the most beautiful places I've ever seen is Fancy Gap, VA. That entire area is breath taking. I also love the area around Asheville, NC. Ummmm.... Maggie Valley, NC is still very rural. You should see all the beautiful farms on the drive from Charlotte to Maggie Valley if you never have. Just take a weekend trip and have a look...you'll find heaven in the foothills. I also love the area around Gettysburg, PA, but it gets too cold up that way for this southerner. The Penn. Dutch coutry is beautiful with all of those stone houses and the funny little things that hang on all the barns. The Greenbriar area of WV is really nice. You should take a look there too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom