And The Peepers Have Arrived

Farmer John

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 1, 2007
707 NoCal
Got my order of 25 peepers at 6am. Picked them up down at the post office. Ideal shipped them out yesterday. Overnight low was around 25 degrees! I was very worried I'd have a box full of chick-sickles! They all made it back to the house alive, and cheeping. I guess their lives are in my hands now
smile.png

This is my 3rd time ordering birds to be shipped via the post office. This is my 2nd time through Ideal. I was expecting at least a few to be DOA, but none were. I've had more show up DOA when it was much warmer out.

I received;
8 black sex links
6 golden sex links
6 red sex links
5 barred rocks

They all look O.K for the moment, but i'm sure plenty of us know how this goes. Hopefully not too many, if any at all, don't make it. My fingers are crossed. They all seem to have sturdy legs so i'll keep an eye. If any get sprattle legged I'll change from news paper, to something else. For the moment, they seem to be getting plenty traction. I'll try to keep this thread updated.
9awhs2.jpg

10dtizd.jpg

Last edited:
Such cuties! I'm oh so jealous! I won't get new babies until Feb or March! Have you ever used paper towels or puppy pads instead of newspaper?? It's a lot safer for them so they don't injure their little legs. Just my opinion.
smile.png

Quote:
IDEAL POULTRY
is a family owned business founded in 1937.
We pride ourselves on our customer
service. We are the largest supplier
of backyard poultry in the United States,
shipping over 4 million chicks annually.

http://www.ideal-poultry.com/
I can vouch for their customer service too. Both this and last times ordering from them have been positive experiences.

Quote:
I have used paper towel. I just threw some paper towel in. I definitely appreciate the heads up, though. I've never used puppy pads but that's a good idea too. Might have to pick some of those up today. I bet they're a bit tougher then paper towel too. Thanks.​

Last edited:
I picked up that tip on this forum after I'd already raised my last set of chicks. But when I get chicks again in the spring I will definitely use the puppy pads - I like the fact that they have a plastic lining on the bottom/under side of it because with paper towels they just let moisture soak rt thru.
sickbyc.gif

I just checked out their site thanks! They look reasonable with their prices too, so is it safe to say that they hatch/deliver year round? The place I was going to place my order with won't be shipping again til Feb. and I want them now I am impatient.

Quote:
I'm not sure. I ordered at the end of November. Today was the earliest I was able to have them arrive. I'm not sure when they're able to ship if you plan on ordering this week, etc. Might not be until feb. Dunno.

Congrats on the new peepers! It's so much fun to pick up that cheeping box at the post office! My neighbor and I ordered BSL's and Cornish that shipped out 12/10 and were received in CA the next day... all alive and well. We did lose one about a day after receipt... couldn't really tell what happened. I'd definitely order from Ideal again.... and probably will when this batch of Cornish are about 6 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom