and THIS is how they treat our veterans?!?!

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I have a relative that is a veteran. When he got out of the military he was given a 100% disability rating. He has the body of a man(not so healthy) in his 80's, he's in his early 40's. ALL of his problems are military related, including traumatic brain injury (9 concussions, mostly from being a paratrooper and also one of them was being blown up and needing to learn to walk, talk, eat again), many major reconstructions on joints, ptsd etc. He copes with all of it really well and they(doctors) insist he take meds but he never complains and does not want to go through life in a fog of meds. Well, after 1 month of 100% disability they knocked it down to 20% saying he had to prove all his issues were military related(hello, it's in his medical files). So he starts working on it, slowly gets it to 30%, then they award another 40% but government math makes this equal 60%, not 70% like you would think
hmm.png
. So here's where it gets me....he just got an additional 70% rating. You knw what 60% + 70% equals in government math?? 90% . You know the $$ difference between 80% and 90% is about $2400/yr.....difference between 90% and 100% is just over $13000/yr. He still hasn't been evaluated for the traumatic brain injury because they want more proof it is military related?!?!? The poor guy has no short term memory and the neurologist says he suffers micro-seizures which pretty much gives him headaches daily. This is the thanks our veterans get....he didn't even get out because he wanted to, they made him because of his injuries, he was only a couple years shy of being able to retire medically..... so now he doen'st even make enough to cover his living expenses and can't get a job because of his injuries, he's a liability
sad.png
. Yes, he knows there are other things to do about it and he's doing that but he's been at it for a year and a half, it's just discouraging...I feel so bad for them
sad.png

I'll have to ask my dad but there are groups that help you work through the whole VA mess. Usually they know who to talk to, what to say, and how to get around the BS to get things done. It can be confusing how they do anything really.

yeah, he is working with the DAV, he requested a lawyer through them. They wanted the chance to "try" to help get it done but he finally told them he needs a lawyer
hmm.png

Last edited:
That is just so sad! That poor man getting the run-around after giving so much to our country!

Are you saying that 100% disability only pays $13K a year?

Un fortunately the percentage scale is NOT additave it's sort of logrythmic... he may get 5% for knees, 4% for hands, 8% for feet, 20% for neurologic etc... it's not just 60 + 40 =100.
Many times they award injured vets 100% for a short time to aid in healing and recouperation then they drop it to a more realistic number.

The worst part of it is there are THOUSANDS of lame and lazy "vets" that are doing everything they can to get every ounce of disibility they can from the system so they can get free stuff from the govt. ...they hurt themselves pryor to medical exams, or just plain lie.
Dr.s can't prove you don't have cronic pain and you can't prove you suffer 23 hours a day so they drop the percentages to cover the loosers and the people who really NEED it don't get enough.
I wish there was a better way....

All I can say is to stay in contact with the VA. Call every other day if you have to. Keep making appointments at the hospital for evaluations. Remember, "they" will not offer anything. YOU have to research and and ask for the benefits you deserve.

Tell your relative the Navy says "Thanks"

Our govt should be ashamed...
but they arent... they dont even know who this man is... they could really care less what hes done for our country...
So sad..
sad.png

Quote:
Thanks for your explanation on how this works. My dad was a vet and I want to thank them all for everything they have given.

I totally agree there are those who will milk the system, so there has to be checks in order to slow the lazies from getting benefits. It is sad that those truely in need have to indure the same checks, but I think it is necessary.

Think about it....if you know of a person milking the system...everyone would be ranting on how our government should stop the abuse of benefits to this person. It is a no win situation.

Quote:
Yup...
and really...IF they are milking the system.. well..then..ooh well!
It sure beats all the others that do it.. and those people gave nothing to our country...
just saying..

Quote:
Yup...
and really...IF they are milking the system.. well..then..ooh well!
It sure beats all the others that do it.. and those people gave nothing to our country...
just saying..

+1.

Back
Top Bottom