Angel Wing or just temporary issue?

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
My 3rd little gosling, "Jack" was 5 weeks old (IIRC) on Tuesday. His feathers on the wings are coming in rapidly.

Two/three nights ago, they were about 1/4 inch long, just poking through, and everything looked good.

They have grown fast, last night about 2 inches. But, the outer wing tips are now turned in that Angel Wing type look on both sides.

"Rose" the female that is about 2 weeks older, had this on one side a couple of weeks back, and it self-corrected.

Should I chance it or try to wrap the wing tips into position?

I tried this on a duck once, and it was impossible. Both because the duck was terrified and because after I released him, he and other other ducklings spent all of their time picking at the wrapping until they got it off.

With the gosling, the wrapping part will be much simpler, since he is imprinted on me and loves to be handled. I could probably improvise some kind of little "sweater" out of an cotton infants t=shirt or something to go over the wrapping, might help it stay in place.

So, wrap it or leave it and see what happens?

I'd take pictures, but I loaned my SD card to someone who hasn't returned it yet despite my requests.

We have 5 week old pilgrims - I had them on 20% starter and that wasn't good apparently even though everyone said to do it..... anway one developed angle wing - when you see it you'll know - it kinda turns outward and doesn't lay against the body. Here's a duck link showing it --- I don't like the way they taped it though, taping the whole body is not necessary. Just tape the part turning out tucked under the other part like the normal wing would lay and gently/lightly put 1-2 bands of tape around it just to hold it there --- not too tight, remember, it's just to hold it there. You can look at the other wing and how it tucks/lays to get an idea of what position to put it in -- I was scared at first but when I got into it it is just common sense like a human finger you put on a split. Just tuck it and tape it gently to stay in place. They will wave around and act weird because it's different, but give it 1/2 a day and see if they don't start to get along with it.

I did the 1" medical tape thing and taped it in position folded up. Worked like a charm to hold it in place. She's taped up right now and it's been 1-2 days. I'll check it this afternoon and then retape if necessary.

Get waterproof 1" medical tape. DO NOT USE ANYTHING STICKY TAPE - WILL STICK TO FEATHERS AND BE BAD!

Here's the link I used to get an idea how to tape --- http://www.longshadowfarms.com/FAQ.html - go to very bottom and you'll see how they taped a duck wing. Just do the same with your goosey. I just used minimal amount necessary 1 strip or 2 max to just hold it in place. Worked great!

You can fix angle wing - I say FIX it as early as you find it. The earlier the better and back off on feeding high protien diet. It is the protein despite what many say. Protein is what makes feathers grow and too much makes them grow too fast, heavy wings turn outward as little undeveloped muscles can't support or work wings yet..... very simple fix. 16% protien or near that 18% - and LOTS OF GRASS INSTEAD OF FEED!!

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I went and picked up a couple of kinds and widths of nonstick surgical/wound tape on my lunch. I'll try wrapping the little guy tonight. I guess I can occupy him with a head of lettuce while I work on him. We'll see how it goes.

OK, taping was really easy. He just sat there and was very still and calm and kind of preened his breast feathers while I taped. I LOVE the fact that these imprinted birds are so tame, makes life SO much easier!

Whether or not it will stay on is another issue. He picked at it just a little bit but mostly ignored it. I'm questioning mostly whether it will 1) get wet and come off or 2) get so dirty that I have to redo it in 12 or 24 hours. So, I didn't try too hard to make it stay with extra tape, just relied upon the "sticks to itself, not the skin " feature of the product, its sort of like semi-sticky tape and sort of like Velcro.

Back
Top Bottom