Angel wing or not please?

DotandDave

Chirping
Feb 8, 2018
Hi my baby goose is about 3mo I think. Only just got her wing feathers about 2wks ago. She's constantly dropping and adjusting both wings. I tried to video but it won't attach here. Both wings are always dropping, stay in place only for a few secs. They def don't stick out. Does this look like AW please or is she adjusting? She wanders around like this all day long.

Her bigger mate has an AW. You can see his right wing sticking out.

I feed them both mixed flock feed, only for sake of convenience. I also have ducks and chickens. The geese prefer the fresh grass, we have acreage. They free roam eating the grass all day long.

I could take them off the mixed flock feed. But I'm so confused at all the diff info on the internet. Happy to feed separately. My bigger goose is only slightly older than the young one.

Suggestions please. TIA

Attachments

• 1609728451770427996940503243551.jpg
    1609728451770427996940503243551.jpg
    838.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 16097284913328444371416277642802.jpg
    16097284913328444371416277642802.jpg
    868 KB · Views: 13
Hard to say. She's at that age when her wings are getting too heavy for her immature muscles, tendons and ligaments. She just doesn't have the strength to hold them up and tucked away. The good news is the left wing is the one typically affected by AW.
Grass and waddling around are great for her. What's the protein content of the feed? You see some push low 10-12% feeds but the leading waterfowl grower feed is 18%. No harm in dropping the feed down and making her grow slower. Cut it with wheat. Also give them some lettuce and grass hay to munch on at night. I only give my geese about 1/3 C of feed a day and that is just to get them back in their pen at night. The rest of their diet is grazing and hay.

Hard to say. She's at that age when her wings are getting too heavy for her immature muscles, tendons and ligaments. She just doesn't have the strength to hold them up and tucked away. The good news is the left wing is the one typically affected by AW.
Grass and waddling around are great for her. What's the protein content of the feed? You see some push low 10-12% feeds but the leading waterfowl grower feed is 18%. No harm in dropping the feed down and making her grow slower. Cut it with wheat. Also give them some lettuce and grass hay to munch on at night. I only give my geese about 1/3 C of feed a day and that is just to get them back in their pen at night. The rest of their diet is grazing and hay.
Thanks heaps she's on 18% protein. Id like to drop the protein level for my other goose anyway. Interesting it's his right wing AW. They usually have a feed in the morning when my chickens and ducks get fed. Rest of the day is fresh grass and whatever fruit or veges I throw as treats for everybody. I also throw some barley hay around for everybody to scratch. I'll give more lettuce. They're very tame, funny things. Sometimes they wander around with their wings out. They look like pelicans mucking around lol.

A lot of times angel wing only affects one wing strangely enough, some say AV is caused by to much protein, others say it’s genetic. From what I’ve seen I think it’s a combination of both, some geese can tolerate and need higher protein levels, others can’t.
I never had any geese end up with angel wing until this summer, most of my geese have been Toulouse with the occasional Buff but I have one Classic Roman who bred with a Toulouse this year and the baby “Teenie Tuesday” has her mother’s small size, smaller actually, but these enormous Toulouse wings that were too big for her to hold up right, the right wing started to twist so I had to bind it and she’s alright now.

Your’s doesn’t look like it’s twisting so that’s good, it could resolve itself on its own too, if you notice the wing starting to twist outwards at the wrist you’ll need to bind it for a few days, sometimes it only takes a day or two to correct.

Back
Top Bottom