Goose wing situation getting worse 😢

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
So our Sebastopol who’s 3 months old hurt her wing on Tuesday getting out of the little pool since she fell in without meaning to. There was one feather down which was causing her some pain when I moved it up but when I got back home on Friday it had disappeared and my mum said that since it went away she was looking and acting better. However now there’s painful feathers on BOTH sides and they really hurt her when I push them up! They just nearly trail on the ground a bit and I’m very concerned now… they don’t see to her her if I lightly tug/pull on them or move them down but she cries out when I try to lift them up and I’m only doing it very lightly to check what’s wrong 😭
They’re on a diet of waterfowl feed specifically for growing waterfowl, lettuce and grass with plenty of water. Since Friday I’ve started putting nutritional yeast back in their food but they’re picky buggers and have been avoiding it but i think they’re eating it now.. will my goose be okay? Will it go away or are there more serious steps I need to take as it’s 3 feathers hanging down and they’re quite large wing feathers I wouldn’t want to yank them out and cause more issues!

Are the feathers still growing?

She may have pulled the original damaged feather out, if a feather is damaged enough it will irritate them, sometimes to the point of them ripping their own feather out. If they’re still blood feathers “still growing“ they’ll bleed a lot when damaged or pulled out.

If these feathers are bothering her too much you could clip them off yourself with a pair of good shears. I’d probably wait until they’re no longer growing if they are still blood feathers.

So our Sebastopol who’s 3 months old hurt her wing on Tuesday getting out of the little pool since she fell in without meaning to. There was one feather down which was causing her some pain when I moved it up but when I got back home on Friday it had disappeared and my mum said that since it went away she was looking and acting better. However now there’s painful feathers on BOTH sides and they really hurt her when I push them up! They just nearly trail on the ground a bit and I’m very concerned now… they don’t see to her her if I lightly tug/pull on them or move them down but she cries out when I try to lift them up and I’m only doing it very lightly to check what’s wrong 😭
They’re on a diet of waterfowl feed specifically for growing waterfowl, lettuce and grass with plenty of water. Since Friday I’ve started putting nutritional yeast back in their food but they’re picky buggers and have been avoiding it but i think they’re eating it now.. will my goose be okay? Will it go away or are there more serious steps I need to take as it’s 3 feathers hanging down and they’re quite large wing feathers I wouldn’t want to yank them out and cause more issues!
Also adding to this that they’ve since developed a taste for those yeast flakes now they can’t get enough of them 😂 they love it so much now!!

Another update, it seems to be getting worse still 😢 we managed to take a few pictures but are unsure on how to proceed… they look like they’re twisted out kind of 😢 and they’re very big feathers so we feel like pulling them will be super painful for her

Attachments

• IMG_5804.jpeg
    IMG_5804.jpeg
    323 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5797.jpeg
    IMG_5797.jpeg
    246.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5805.jpeg
    IMG_5805.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5799.jpeg
    IMG_5799.jpeg
    603.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5798.jpeg
    IMG_5798.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 10
@Goosebaby i hope it’s ok to @ you sorry! I wasn’t sure if my update would get seen 😓😓😓 I included some pictures of her wing and feathers as its 2 that are now hanging down

Another update, it seems to be getting worse still 😢 we managed to take a few pictures but are unsure on how to proceed… they look like they’re twisted out kind of 😢 and they’re very big feathers so we feel like pulling them will be super painful for her
Those can be cut off with some shears, I wouldn’t pull them out. To be honest they almost look like they’re getting ready to fall out themselves, sometimes feathers will droop right before they’re shed naturally, so that could be what’s going on?

Back
Top Bottom