Hurt goose feather causing pain what to do

You can’t overdose on niacin; they use what they need and excrete the rest.
It doesn’t take a -lot- to have that “safety net” IMO

I always err on the side of caution and add it to my ducks’ feed.

I know a lot of people prefer to add it to their water, but my ducks primarily drink from their pools during the day, and I want to know they are getting it.

And- to be clear, I feed a corn and soy free feed that is “nutritionally sound” for them, but it is a bit lower in the b complex vitamins than is recommended for waterfowl.

I’m not personally familiar w the feed you are using.... but one would hope the levels would be right in a waterfowl specific feed 😊

Sorry if I made you worry without cause, but I thought it was worth the question.
If it was a fluke accident, that’s “great”
(You know what I mean lol)

I may be a -little- hypersensitive bc one of my ducklings is exhibiting signs of a niacin def rn lol

I know a lot of people prefer to add it to their water, but my ducks primarily drink from their pools during the day, and I want to know they are getting it.

And- to be clear, I feed a corn and soy free feed that is “nutritionally sound” for them, but it is a bit lower in the b complex vitamins than is recommended for waterfowl.

I’m not personally familiar w the feed you are using.... but one would hope the levels would be right in a waterfowl specific feed 😊

Sorry if I made you worry without cause, but I thought it was worth the question.

I may be a -little- hypersensitive bc one of my ducklings is exhibiting signs of a niacin def rn lol
Well I was mostly worried about what would happen if we yanked her feather and and caused bleeding 😢 now we are too scared to do it lol! But yes I’ll def introduce more niacin <3

Just replying to say she’s been ok today, walking around eating grass and such but because I had to set off I didn’t get a chance to touch her feather to see if it was still in pain but it’s still hanging down. Only thing I noted is that she’s just a bit quieter than usual 😢 should we really just yank it out?

And by the way is it even a "blood feather" did you see any blood coming from where it broke? If its a not then its a dead hollow shaft and now dont quote me on this because Im not sure but lets try to find out if you can just cut the feather above the break?
I have the books from majestic waterfowl sanc. and I was going to just take pictures of pages and post them here but i think theres a copyright.

And by the way is it even a "blood feather" did you see any blood coming from where it broke? If its a not then its a dead hollow shaft and now dont quote me on this because Im not sure but lets try to find out if you can just cut the feather above the break?
I have the books from majestic waterfowl sanc. and I was going to just take pictures of pages and post them here but i think theres a copyright.
No blood! Just discomfort. I wasn’t able to get a good look because I had to go out today and won’t be back until Friday so I’ve been asking my mum to keep an eye on her! I’ll ask if she can look at it more closely and send pics which shouldn’t be too hard because she loves sitting on peoples laps

No blood! Just discomfort. I wasn’t able to get a good look because I had to go out today and won’t be back until Friday so I’ve been asking my mum to keep an eye on her! I’ll ask if she can look at it more closely and send pics which shouldn’t be too hard because she loves sitting on peoples laps
maybe the pain isnt from the feather itself if its a dead feather. i would tell her look carefully at the exact spot the feather is growing out from perhaps its just bruised ? Im really thinking if there was NO blood then it cant be a blood feather. so perhaps its safe to clip it just like people cut feathers when they are "wing clipping" to stop a bird from flying.

maybe the pain isnt from the feather itself if its a dead feather. i would tell her look carefully at the exact spot the feather is growing out from perhaps its just bruised ? Im really thinking if there was NO blood then it cant be a blood feather. so perhaps its safe to clip it just like people cut feathers when they are "wing clipping" to stop a bird from flying.
Oh ok that’s good then! Might hopefully just be a bit bruised, I’ll have another look at it myself on Friday and get my mum to look at it whilst I’m gone too

Back
Top Bottom