Angel Wing Treatment

Pics

Vyctoria

Songster
May 30, 2016
Finger Lakes, NY
I've noticed a lot of discussion about angel wing in ducks lately and after having just dealt with it for the first time myself, I wanted to try to help others if possible. Now let me reiterate that I've only dealt with it just recently in two of my ducklings. I did not invent the method, but was instead following this video. It is also not the only way of dealing with it since every duck and owner are different, and what works for one person might not work for another. Still, if there are any questions and/or suggestions, feel free to post them. Sharing your experiences here may help others who are looking for answers!

What Is Angel Wing?
Angel wing is essentially when the flight feathers of the young bird develop faster than the muscles that usually hold them up. When the muscles can't take the sudden weight, the wing droops, causing the carpal bones to twist outward. This can then become permanent if not treated properly. It is not a death sentence, but it does prevent them from ever flying, and poses a high risk of catching on things. It's simple to fix, so there's no reason not to.

What Causes It?
All we have are theories at this point. The most common is that a diet too high in protein is to blame, causing them to grow too quickly. Another possibility is genetics. What we do know is that it seems to afflict the left wing the most.

P.S. My apologies on the poor video quality! My sister was kind enough to record it using her phone and I had to edit out sections where my ducklings decided that they no longer wanted to be involved, evidenced by my Saxony stress panting at the end. Maybe someday I'll redo it.
:oops:

I don't think I'll be able to keep my duckling still long enough to do this.. we've only had her for 3 weeks now (she is about 5-7 weeks old) and she is so scared of us now... we have tried wrapping around the body a few times on Sunday but I guess we weren't wrapping tight enough. Then we tried the sock method yesterday but I guess the sock was not long enough or something because it kept scrunching and falling down. I am at a loss for what to do. I don't feel comfortable enough with how her wing is supposed to be to wrap it up like the video above. We are going to try a longer sock... otherwise I really don't know what else to do. Can someone tell me what vet tape is? Is it sticky on one side? I don't think putting tape directly on the wing is safe?

Great video Vyctoria!! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Sorry your having a struggle wrapping your duckling. Have you tried wrapping the duck in a towel then wrapping the wing, Vet wrap is what vets use to wrap wounds after they put no stick gauze on the wound it sticks to itself. The paper tape or masking tape is what goes on top of the vet wrap just to double making sure it stays put.

If you find your still not wanting to tackle this angel wing is not a health issue she will not die from angel wing it is just cosmetic and will keep them from flying but we don't really won't our ducks flying anyway. If she is small maybe try a child's tight you can pick up used clothing like that at thrift stores. In the end it's your decision.

Can someone tell me what vet tape is? Is it sticky on one side? I don't think putting tape directly on the wing is safe?
It sticks to itself, not hair, skin or feathers. It's cheapest at feed stores, but is also sold for people in the first aid section of most stores like Walmart, Walgreens and Target. Comes in 4 sizes, 1", 2", 3", and 4". I use the 4" and cut down to size because it's cheapest that way.
vetrap_1_4inch.png vetrap_1_oneinch.jpg

I don't think I'll be able to keep my duckling still long enough to do this.. we've only had her for 3 weeks now (she is about 5-7 weeks old) and she is so scared of us now... we have tried wrapping around the body a few times on Sunday but I guess we weren't wrapping tight enough. Then we tried the sock method yesterday but I guess the sock was not long enough or something because it kept scrunching and falling down. I am at a loss for what to do. I don't feel comfortable enough with how her wing is supposed to be to wrap it up like the video above. We are going to try a longer sock... otherwise I really don't know what else to do. Can someone tell me what vet tape is? Is it sticky on one side? I don't think putting tape directly on the wing is safe?
What type of sock? Maybe try one that is smaller? The fabric on mine was like tights and it was tight on the duck, but I could still get my fingers under it. When it was too long, the sock made him roll around like a bowling pin. I only had it on for 24 hours straight before he managed to get out of it. My drake is big since he is muscovy. I wasn't able to get a pic though. Basically both ends of the sock was cut off to make a tube. You want the tube to fit snuggly over their body. Vet tape won't stick to hair or feathers. It is a self stick tape.
You just have to keep at it if you want the feathers corrected.

Back
Top Bottom