Angel Wing Treatment

Pics
Also post some pictures when you have a minute.
Sometimes what looks like angel wing in the beginning Ends up just being their wing feathers growing in and they end up being perfectly fine.
There was no doubt in my mind that they have it, they both have normal right wings but their left wings stick straight up in the air vertically , I’ve wrapped them with vet tape and redo it every other day so I won’t be able to post a picture for a couple days.

There was no doubt in my mind that they have it, they both have normal right wings but their left wings stick straight up in the air vertically , I’ve wrapped them with vet tape and redo it every other day so I won’t be able to post a picture for a couple days.
Oh yeah. That's angel wing then for sure.

WOW! very interesting read thankyou! does this by chance happen to chickens OR is it just something that happens to ducks?
love the video as well :)
Hello @mcChicken39! It is true that Angel wings primarily affects waterfowl, but it is possible for chickens to get it. I have a chick that has it right now, and we are working hard to correct it. Hope this helps!

Excellent video, thank you! We cover the birds heads when working with them (light colored pillow case works great they can still see light and shapes but calms them quickly). We put arm in pillow case, grab head (gently if course) with the pillow cased hand and use other hand to fold pillow case over head). This works great for longer neck birds (turkey/geese).
Thanks again, off to tape two adorable nibbling Pilgrim fluff balls with confidence....

Excellent video, thank you! We cover the birds heads when working with them (light colored pillow case works great they can still see light and shapes but calms them quickly). We put arm in pillow case, grab head (gently if course) with the pillow cased hand and use other hand to fold pillow case over head). This works great for longer neck birds (turkey/geese).
Thanks again, off to tape two adorable nibbling Pilgrim fluff balls with confidence....

Angel wing is from too much protein? How much protein should we be looking at in feed? I saw this food for ducklings and it has 22% protein and was planning to go for it since it appears to be for ducklings but I saw a review left by someone saying the feed gave their duckling angel wing.

Angel wing is from too much protein? How much protein should we be looking at in feed? I saw this food for ducklings and it has 22% protein and was planning to go for it since it appears to be for ducklings but I saw a review left by someone saying the feed gave their duckling angel wing.
I believe angel wing is up to the growth of each individual duck or goose. How there bodies intake and process the food. To prevent angel wing as much as you can in growing babies it to know when to cut there protein and up there niacin so they are still getting healthy growth. As soon as they get to the ugly duckling stage there blood feathers are coming in and there all stuffy looking. and there wing tip feathers. for thous few weeks you want to cut there protein. 22% is good all but for thous few weeks. 18-19 percent is good
Purina duck pellets are 19. But giving them healthy snakes that are low protein is also good green vegetables peas things that are low protein but healthy for them. When my birds hit this stage I usually have the Zuquini growing or some kind of summer squash. Grass is great to cut protein its about 12% and if you have geese there favorite. As long as they have access to ground or grit to fill there gizzard for digestion greens are great.
That being said I got angel wing in my 2 white gander babies this spring. It was fixed in 2 days with wraps. Because of avian influenza in our state I kept them in my quarantine barn so they never got fresh grass or greens. All my fault. But was very easy to correct in just a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom