Angel wing?

Less protein than what? PLEASE don't believe everything you read! Printing it doesn't make it true. Please find out, it should be printed in the guaranteed analysis, sometimes sewn on the bottom of the bag.

I disagree that ducklings need less protein and provided a link in my last post that very accurately shows nutritional need. By reducing protein your either increasing carbs or fat because that's the only 3 sources energy comes from. But your also changing the already formulated diet which means you're not only effecting protein but also vitamin and mineral content.. Please read the direction on the bag or post a pic of the bag.

Feathers are made up of 90% protein and it's amino acids.. that bird ain't feathered yet and as I stated previously angel wing is caused by FIRST mostly genetics and second excess ENERGY from any source.. meaning don'r feed excess treats like bread, meal worms and the like. I researched this extensively when I was getting ducks

Oats also have anti nutrients in them, and folks have reported issues with feeding them on here. Some chick starter's are already as low 18% protein.. with their being no exact number in place it ranges up to 22% for the term "starter".

If you are in the US feed is labeled by law with directions for the species and age it is appropriate for. and if it is a sole ration or should be supplemented with something else.

I had great results using Purina Flock Raiser... contains 55mg/kg of niacin per personal contact with the company.. (*Should* be enough for standard Pekin but jumbo Pekin need closer to 70mg/kg).

Just don't feed excess protein like in game bird or turkey feeds.

But it does look like some annoyed follicles or pin feathers trying to come in or something.. I can see what you are expressing concern about!

I wonder if @WVduckchick has any thoughts here? TIA

ETA: Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy
I am based in the UK so the feed I have is Dodson and Horrell chick starter crumb, and it contains 19% protein.

She doesn’t really have many treats, but does like to free range in the garden where she eats slugs, and probably other bugs.

I have very mixed feelings on angel wing in ducklings.

My personal opinion is that it is most likely a combined effect, including probably some genetic factors, but I think it’s more the amount of feed, not necessarily the protein content, etc. I say this because I’ve had a small few call ducklings develop it, and it always seems to be the “pigs”, you know, the ones that always seem to be at the feeder. :D
My flock of Black Swedish large ducks seemed to have more occurrences of angel wing in the males (which is quite the odd thing in itself, to me, that it seems to happen more in drakes!) And why is it more prevalent in the left wing? I honestly don’t think there is a concrete idea on “why” it happens.

This post is one that I think explains it well, and the next one shows wrapping. (Edit-wrong thread linked, so deleted) There are also different ideas on wrap. I have perhad good success with wrapping the wing by itself, and not including the whole body in the wrap, but others prefer to wrap the wing to the body.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/19848614/
@EggSighted4Life aren’t you glad you asked me!? :lol:
Thanks so much for this information, she does like to eat A LOT, so this could potentially be the issue.

Thanks so much for this information, she does like to eat A LOT, so this could potentially be the issue.

At this point, after looking at your pics again, I’d wait until she feathers in a bit more before doing anything. But it’s great that you are keeping an eye on it, and already looking into the possibilities!

At this point, after looking at your pics again, I’d wait until she feathers in a bit more before doing anything. But it’s great that you are keeping an eye on it, and already looking into the possibilities!
Ok, thanks so much for your help, it’s greatly appreciated 😁

My duckling is just turning 4 weeks old
I only started mixing in oats at about 3 and a half weeks,

Protein and carbs provide the SAME amount of energy (4 calories per gram). But the formulated ration is going to be a more complete balance of all the needed amino acids and vitamins than oats. Thank you for looking into your protein content and also sharing your location. Please consider skipping the oats for now and just providing the chick feed and the brewers yeast?? I TRULY believe you will see a difference or I wouldn't suggest it.

My personal opinion is that it is most likely a combined effect, including probably some genetic factors, but I think it’s more the amount of feed, not necessarily the protein content, etc
I agree completely.. a combination of factors including possibly genetics (ie gender, etc which could also insinuate hormones), excess energy from ANY source (protein, fat, or carbs) but not enough of certain key nutrients.

Did you think that baby looks like angel wing though? What age did you see it in yours? Yes, I'm glad I asked you! That link you provided also includes posts from other members whose user names I could not remember.. maybe the OP will tag them or look up some their posts as their are several informative ones.

Careful of things posted on the poultry or duck dvm sites (linked in top post in the thread linked) as they are often changing and sometimes misinformed or under-informed. Its a good place to start looking and be clued in about some things.. but always use back up resources and research as well as YOUR best judgement. :)

Hope that duckling continues to feather in well and thrives while waiting for mates! :thumbsup

Great Information has been given to you @Yapstan . I myself, also agree that there are other predisposing factors that we need to be more concerned about besides *too much protein* in the duck's diet, I've have raised tons and tons of ducklings, and just this year did one come down with AW, seems very unlikely to me that this is because of too much protein, much more likely, genetics, I've also seen flocks that had a high percentage of ducks with AW, the diet they were being fed was fine, BUT they were being kept in a small space than recommended, they were over scourging on the feed, growing faster than intended. Lack of exercise has been documented as a causing factor to AW.

I wish people would do more research because I feel there is way too much emphasis put on that JUST a high protein diet will cause AW, because it's not, and from what I've experienced and heard from other people, it tends to be one of the lesser causing factors.

If I might ask what brand of Brewer's Yeast are you using? Some brands don't contain enough niacin to be combined with just a chick starter feed.

Just wondering if anyone can help does this look like angel wing.

Attachments

• 21FBA8CC-C59D-4433-8229-DBD2FEB76D8E.png
    21FBA8CC-C59D-4433-8229-DBD2FEB76D8E.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom