Angel wing?

Yapstan

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2020
My duckling is just turning 4 weeks old and everything has been going pretty smoothly, but I have noticed that one of the growing wings (the one on the left and picture attached below) is growing a little bit upwards, and I wasn’t too sure of this is early sign of angel wing. I have still been feeding her( we think:lol: ) chick crumb mixed with oats (80:20) ratio. But I would appreciate any advice on if it is angel wing, and if so what would be the best way to deal with it.
E1812222-DC57-459D-906C-FF6C6776AE37.jpeg
4442AFAB-A641-4577-BD69-4ADE093C4C15.jpeg
609BE125-3985-4486-AC87-B864F99E8D48.jpeg

My experience with angel wing is very limited; limited to one case right now with a young call duck drake. Both of his wings, where the flight feathers are growing, stick out at almost 90 degree from the body. Below is a picture that does not show how badly the wings stick out. Looking at your picture, I would say that it's too soon to say "angel wing" for sure; and I do not think it is.
duckie.jpg
Give it some time...Others with more experience may be more helpful.

Not sure ablut angelwing, but ducklings require a higher protien diet then regular chick food because they grow a lot faster. Not enough protien and the bones can become weak because they can't keep up with the growth.

My experience with angel wing is very limited; limited to one case right now with a young call duck drake. Both of his wings, where the flight feathers are growing, stick out at almost 90 degree from the body. Below is a picture that does not show how badly the wings stick out. Looking at your picture, I would say that it's too soon to say "angel wing" for sure; and I do not think it is.View attachment 2252011 Give it some time...Others with more experience may be more helpful.
Thank you 😊

Not sure ablut angelwing, but ducklings require a higher protien diet then regular chick food because they grow a lot faster. Not enough protien and the bones can become weak because they can't keep up with the growth.
The starter crumb I have is for both chick and duckling

My duckling is just turning 4 weeks old and everything has been going pretty smoothly, but I have noticed that one of the growing wings (the one on the left and picture attached below) is growing a little bit upwards, and I wasn’t too sure of this is early sign of angel wing. I have still been feeding her( we think:lol: ) chick crumb mixed with oats (80:20) ratio. But I would appreciate any advice on if it is angel wing, and if so what would be the best way to deal with it.
Angel wing is highly misunderstood topic.. and is more likely genetic coupled with excess energy from ANY source not just protein.. IMO.. your bird is likely nutritionally deficient and angel wing is NOT the issue.

How much protein in your chick feed? How much niacin in it? Are supplementing anything else? Does your duck have a friend? And do you know the breed?

https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=25971093

Angel wing is highly misunderstood topic.. and is more likely genetic coupled with excess energy from ANY source not just protein.. IMO.. your bird is likely nutritionally deficient and angel wing is NOT the issue.

How much protein in your chick feed? How much niacin in it? Are supplementing anything else? Does your duck have a friend? And do you know the breed?

https://www.metzerfarms.com/NutritionalRequirements.cfm?affiliate=undef&CustID=25971093
I’m not sure how much protein is in the feed, but I do know it’s suitable for ducklings. I only started mixing in oats at about 3 and a half weeks, as I read that they need less protein and that was one way to do it. I provide extra niacin to my duck by adding brewers yeast to her food. Unfortunately my duckling doesn’t have a friend, however I do have three more in the incubator (tomorrow is day 28 so they should start hatching soon) so she won’t be alone much longer. And the breed is Pekin duck (specifically cherry valley)
Also thanks for your response 😊

I’m not sure how much protein is in the feed, but I do know it’s suitable for ducklings. I only started mixing in oats at about 3 and a half weeks, as I read that they need less protein and that was one way to do it.
Less protein than what? PLEASE don't believe everything you read! Printing it doesn't make it true. Please find out, it should be printed in the guaranteed analysis, sometimes sewn on the bottom of the bag.

I disagree that ducklings need less protein and provided a link in my last post that very accurately shows nutritional need. By reducing protein your either increasing carbs or fat because that's the only 3 sources energy comes from. But your also changing the already formulated diet which means you're not only effecting protein but also vitamin and mineral content.. Please read the direction on the bag or post a pic of the bag.

Feathers are made up of 90% protein and it's amino acids.. that bird ain't feathered yet and as I stated previously angel wing is caused by FIRST mostly genetics and second excess ENERGY from any source.. meaning don'r feed excess treats like bread, meal worms and the like. I researched this extensively when I was getting ducks

Oats also have anti nutrients in them, and folks have reported issues with feeding them on here. Some chick starter's are already as low 18% protein.. with their being no exact number in place it ranges up to 22% for the term "starter".

If you are in the US feed is labeled by law with directions for the species and age it is appropriate for. and if it is a sole ration or should be supplemented with something else.

I had great results using Purina Flock Raiser... contains 55mg/kg of niacin per personal contact with the company.. (*Should* be enough for standard Pekin but jumbo Pekin need closer to 70mg/kg).

Just don't feed excess protein like in game bird or turkey feeds.

But it does look like some annoyed follicles or pin feathers trying to come in or something.. I can see what you are expressing concern about!

I wonder if @WVduckchick has any thoughts here? TIA

ETA: Happy hatching! :jumpy :jumpy

I have very mixed feelings on angel wing in ducklings.

My personal opinion is that it is most likely a combined effect, including probably some genetic factors, but I think it’s more the amount of feed, not necessarily the protein content, etc. I say this because I’ve had a small few call ducklings develop it, and it always seems to be the “pigs”, you know, the ones that always seem to be at the feeder. :D
My flock of Black Swedish large ducks seemed to have more occurrences of angel wing in the males (which is quite the odd thing in itself, to me, that it seems to happen more in drakes!) And why is it more prevalent in the left wing? I honestly don’t think there is a concrete idea on “why” it happens.

This post is one that I think explains it well, and the next one shows wrapping. (Edit-wrong thread linked, so deleted) There are also different ideas on wrap. I have perhad good success with wrapping the wing by itself, and not including the whole body in the wrap, but others prefer to wrap the wing to the body.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/19848614/
@EggSighted4Life aren’t you glad you asked me!? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom