Angle of slope on the shed style roof?

kira782

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Littleton, Colorado
I'm hoping some one can tell me about how steep I should make my shed style roof? I need to have enough slope to let snow slide off and withstand decent wind. Is there any rule of thumb that I should try and aim for?

Too keep snow off, it probably needs to be fairly steep -- maybe 45 dgrees or more (?). If you just want drainage (and can stand the snow load -- build it strong), you can get by with a lot less.

A 2' drop in 12' is standard minimum building code. I also live in a snow area though not as much as you maybe. Yes you can cheat on that guideline if you have beefed up your stringers etc.

Good luck.

Depends what material you use. I am using Omdura corregated roofing. They recommend a 3/12 as a minimum. I have a 5/12 and it looks alittle steep, mine is 6x8 (pics and thread ...hopefully). For a snow load, decrease your purlin and rafter spacing. Snow won't slide well on ashaplt shingles without a steep pitch. not sure how well it will slide on Ondura.
Hope this helps.

Try to keep it over a 2/12 pitch (2" rise per 12" run). Keep it where it looks good. For example if the coop is 5' wide with a 3/12 slope the high side of the roof will be 15" taller than the lower side, and a 6/12 slope the high side will be 30" taller than the lower side. As long as the roof system is built strong enough snow shouldnt be a problem. A 12/12 which is 45 degrees the high side will be 60" taller.

Take the length of the building (the direction the rafter are run) and multiply by the rise of the slope you want and it will tell you how high the high side will be. Like in the example 5' wide building with a 3/12 pitch 5*3=15"

Take the length of the building (the direction the rafter are run) and multiply by the rise of the slope you want and it will tell you how high the high side will be. Like in the example 5' wide building with a 3/12 pitch 5*3=15"

I know this is an old thread... errr discussion.. but by far the simplest instruction on how to figure out pitch on a roof. Thank you. Building my coop now and this helped immensely!!!

slope Is there any rule of thumb

4-12-roof-pitch.jpg

What if you are only building a 4' X 8' coop? All I want is enough slope to drain water off the top.
I have a 4x8 with a 3/12 pitch slant roof and the low and high sides are the 8' long ones. It's under trees and fallen tree bits tend to accumulate. Once in a while, I have to get the push broom out and sweep the roof. But, water runs well and there's only a foot of difference between the low and high side.

What if you are only building a 4' X 8' coop? All I want is enough slope to drain water off the top.

My coop is 6x12' with external nesting boxes and about 14" overhang on each side with a 3/12 pitch. Like the other poster my coop is under a tree and I have to sweep debris off roof.
I think it depends what roofing material you plan on using. I believe any asphalt shingle requires at the minimum a 3/12 pitch.

Back
Top Bottom