need help on run design

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I am hoping to add onto my run this spring...... I want to make a lean to covered run that is 8x10 with roof sloping on the 8' side...... I have tried to look up slopes etc and just don't understand it. We get snow here so keep that in mind. Thinking of making the tall side around 6' high. what height should the shorter side be???

I will be covering with the metal roofing.

My Home Depot carries metal roofing in 8 or 12' panels. If yours is the same, I'd consider building / sloping the run roof so that a 12' panel fits.
They do. I had thought of doing it 10x10 but not sure it will fit. I am adding it off the side of my existing run to make an L shape and the door to enter the run is there so can only work from the door over. The section I am attaching it to has a HWC roof and is just over 5' high so didn't want to slope down from that side since it would look odd to go up then back down.

I am just not sure what the slope should be...

I'm not expert on the required pitch. I've seen 3:12 tossed out a lot. I think that's minimum for shingles. 1:12 I think is minimum for other roofing.

At 3:12, you are getting 3' rise for a 12' span. So, for an 8' span, you're looking at your high side is 1' higher than your low side.

Our run is about 10' on the high side and sloping to 8' on the low. We didn't need to worry about maximizing roofing panels as we used repurposed roofing.

The 6' on your high side seems like it would make for a low run roof.

Attachments

• Run roof.jpg
    Run roof.jpg
    912.2 KB · Views: 7
I'm not expert on the required pitch. I've seen 3:12 tossed out a lot. I think that's minimum for shingles. 1:12 I think is minimum for other roofing.

At 3:12, you are getting 3' rise for a 12' span. So, for an 8' span, you're looking at your high side is 1' higher than your low side.
Thank you. Bi saw the 3:12 but was a bit lost on how to figure it out. Lol. So a 5' side and a 6' side should work?

Our run is about 10' on the high side and sloping to 8' on the low. We didn't need to worry about maximizing roofing panels as we used repurposed roofing.

The 6' on your high side seems like it would make for a low run roof.
I am the one that goes in there for the most part and I am under 5'. Lol. I may do 6' and 7' not sure yet

I am hoping to add onto my run this spring...... I want to make a lean to covered run that is 8x10 with roof sloping on the 8' side...... I have tried to look up slopes etc and just don't understand it. We get snow here so keep that in mind. Thinking of making the tall side around 6' high. what height should the shorter side be???

I will be covering with the metal roofing.
What degree angle for the slope? I would make the shorter part tall enough so you could go under it easily and depending on the slope and the distance from the short side to the tall side. If the short side is say 6 foot and the tall 9 feet with 8 feet from the two sides, It would be like a 30 degree slope something like that?

63A2778F-3399-4E72-8425-C3BD98FADF48.jpeg

This diagram may help show what each pitch looks like. For areas with snow, 3/12-6/12 is typical I think. So for every foot wide the run is, the tall wall should be at least 3 inches taller than the short wall. So if the run is 6 feet wide, your tall wall is 18 inches taller than the short wall at a minimum. Or more to be on the safe side.

And keep in mind that the roof will need to be more than 6 feet long because the angle makes it longer than the floor width AND you want overhang. And I believe you want the waves in the roof to be pointing downhill so they are like slides for the snow to slip down (not bumps the snow catches on). Hope that makes sense. Wasn’t sure how to describe that 😅. But it’s often easiest to design around the material, so something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom