Angora Rabbits -- Badly Matted

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jules1329, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jules1329

jules1329 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    South-Central Kentucky
    I received five angoras -- no idea what kind -- that have horribly matted wool. I've tried to cut some of the mats out, but I'm terrified of cutting their skin. Suggestions?

2. babigyrl22

babigyrl22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Caledonia
    Yes it depends on what kind of angoras you have. Does their coat easily pull out? If so you can cut into the mats to make them smaller and you should be able to pull them out. If not just make sure you keep your scissors at a slight angle as not to cut into their skin.

3. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Reading this has bought back bad memories for me, I had a lovely bunny, he was not long coated but he sometimes used to get poo stuck on his fur and I would bath him and trim him round his bottom, I did this for years without any problems, as he got older he got a bit stiff in his back legs and then one weekend I realised he was very weak on his legs and was wetting himself, I decided I would make him comfortable and made the decision to have him PTS on the monday, I washed him and went to cut a bit of stuck up hair, I nicked his skin [​IMG] I took him straight to the vet and they put him to sleep, there was no blood and he didn't seem to feel it but the vet said that they have the sort of skin that acts like a zip, in other words, a little nick can just open right up!! So please be very careful and as said before perhaps you can gently pull the hair out rather than cut, or what about clippers? Good luck X

4. jules1329

Jun 26, 2012
    South-Central Kentucky
    Poor bunny! Poor you! I know you felt terrible.

I think they're French lops. And it sounds like I'm doing it the right way. it will must take a while. Their fur is so matted, it's hard to even get clippers through the mats. I've ordered a mat comb, hoping it will help. I can't understand why someone would let these little creatures get in such a bad way. Angoras are not for kids or for people who don't have time to groom them. :(

I'm taking one bunny a day, and only working on it for a short while. The mommy bunny will probably take at least three sessions. Every hair on her body is in a mat. She couldn't even hop until I got the ones around her legs.

5. jules1329

Jun 26, 2012
    South-Central Kentucky
    Here are some pics of the mats. They're pulling new fur out of her skin. :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Fly 2006

Fly 2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    Hampshire England
    Aaawww, shes beautiful, matts and all !! They are lucky bunnies to have found you to care for them X

7. mattfulleroc

mattfulleroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    [​IMG]

You are definitely doing it right...Just take your time and you should be fine. You might want to get a small tube of super glue to have on hand in case you accidentally cut the rabbit. I know it sounds crazy but this is the recommended treatment as rabbits and stitched are just impossible and the skin actually heals while the super glue acts as a suture. Take a toothpick and use just a tiny amount at first and be careful not to let it get inside the cut if you can as it will make it harder to close. The skind of a rabbit actually heals remarkably fast once you do this but of course you will want to keeo it from getting dirty and watch it just in case it becomes infected though it is unlikely.

As far as keeping them free from mats in the future...daily grooming helps...at least weekly grooming is essential. Blowers are great. I have one with variable speeds and the rabbits love it and are quite used to it. A slicker brush and comb are helpful and as long as you keep up with it it should be relatively easy to manage. Avoid crocks for the water because their wool under their chin will mat like crazy if you don't.

Good luck!

8. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Could you give her a shave? That would solve the problem and get fresh air near her skin. Then you can keep brushing her as the fur grows back.

She looks very cute!

1 person likes this.
  9. mattfulleroc

mattfulleroc Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
  10. jules1329

Jun 26, 2012
    South-Central Kentucky
    Oh, everything you wrote makes sense! In fact, I have Liquid Bandage on hand, just in case. I'm taking it slow, which helps with my patience and I think keeps the bunnies from being too stressed.

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by