Angry Neighbor with a Gun (fence question)

But wouldn't they be less likely to stay inside our pasture since it's so big for 12 chickens? We're a bit shaken up over this and don't want dead chickens. He threatened to kill them.

Quote:
what breed are your chickens? if they're silkies, no, they won't fly over the fence. if they're oegb, yup, count on them flying over.

Quote:
My standard Cochins second, third, fourth and fifth that sentiment. They can get all the way up into the barn rafters, about 10 feet up, when they're feeling motivated.

All it takes is for something to spook them into flying. Mine will do so when provoked by a big, scary field mouse.

Guess my girls are just lazy then.
lol.png

My girls have never flew over the fence to the property next door. I've had chickens for 6 years now. I have 10 acres and they only hang around the house and they have wander over to the barn on the other end of the house. I think they only did that because of the fallen leaves. Then one time they did get near the road but I herded them back close to the house and they never went back up that way.
I can't believe he got so mad unless they tore up his flower beds which mine did alot. The would throw the mulch out all over the sidewalk. I would try to patch the fence and keep a eye on them for awhile and only let them out when you can watch them or later in the day so they hang around the coop more. Good Luck

Toast,

I'm so sorry that your neighbor is mean! And possibly dangerous. If I were you, I think that I would clip the chickens' wings, just to try to make sure that they couldn't get over the fence.

Check out the "Learning Center" link at the top of the page, then click on the "How To Pages". There is a page on wing clipping. It doesn't look too hard. I've never done it, so I hope that somebody else can chime in if it is harder than it looks, or if there are any concerns you need to be aware of.

Good Luck.

So far none of my buff orps or polish have gone over the 4 foot fence. They have a routine, they raid the garden area, walk across the yard, stand on the patio table and then go to the red rock bed and eat the weeds...then they trot back to the coop...

Welcome lauralou!!! My chickens would get out if they could but I don't even think wild dogs can get in.
big_smile.png
I would put some net on it just to be safe, you don't want any piles of feathers in that mans yard.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom