neighbors new flock

Txchickhitch

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 24, 2018
My neighbor just bought new pullets yesterday and released them into her yard. Our yards share a 5-foot fence and has worked well. My chicken house and hers are both near the fence. Yesterday her new chickens were EVERWHERE. At one point I found one in my chicken house eating from my feeders. I have always quarantined my animals for 2 weeks before introducing. I do not know the history or health of her animals to be comfortable with them in my chicken house eating and drinking from my flock's containers. When I found this, I dumped everything, and my birds were defending their territory. When I got up this morning, she had released the birds again. I decided to keep my birds in their house today. Am I overacting??

I have a neighbor that does the same thing, none of her grown birds have ever come over my fence but Fall before last some of her pullets went through the fence and decimated the seedlings in my garden. I told her to keep them out of my yard. She locked them up until they were older, and no issues. I would definitely see about extending the height of your fence.

No, I don't think you are. Best thing to do is go talk to your neighbor about it. You don't know what kind of stuff her birds carry just as she doesn't know what kind of stuff your birds carry. It's not up to you to make sure her birds stay in their yard. I'd go talk to her before putting up more fencing.

Back
Top Bottom